Question about cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Brunjarge

Reaction score
Anyone had any cattle artificially inseminated lately? What were you charged per head? I breed/synchronize cattle on the side and was curious what others charge. I tried to get another local AI guy to fill me in on his pricing but he acted like it was a big secret. Basically I'm just wanting info to see if I can cut back my rates some to save my customers some money. Since it's just a side gig to make some extra cash, I can afford to drop my rates a little if it will pay it forward to my long time customers.

I've been charging my customers the same rate for years as my cost has stayed the same basically.

I do a few on the side . 50 bucks 1 cow plus semen cost & drug cost , multiple cows on one sync 50 on first 10 bucks each on the rest plus semen and drug cost . I mark up semen and drugs 30% . I do not know how this stacks up against other . most of the time the ones I do are 10 head or less places . I have added service fees for not having a facility ready and them not being penned and ready to go.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I live in Upstate NY - LOTS of dairies - LOTS of AI techs. I pay $7/head - no additional charge. They come twice a day.
That is the best price I have ever heard of.....

M-5 said:
I do a few on the side . 50 bucks 1 cow plus semen cost & drug cost , multiple cows on one sync 50 on first 10 bucks each on the rest plus semen and drug cost . I mark up semen and drugs 30% . I do not know how this stacks up against other . most of the time the ones I do are 10 head or less places . I have added service fees for not having a facility ready and them not being penned and ready to go.
I hope it's a significant markup/service fee...
Not AI, but I've seen some places where I went to help someone work cows and seeing their "facilities" if I hadn't already promised to help out, I really wanted to just drive off without even getting out of the truck.

greybeard said:
M-5 said:
I hope it's a significant markup/service fee...
Not AI, but I've seen some places where I went to help someone work cows and seeing their "facilities" if I hadn't already promised to help out, I really wanted to just drive off without even getting out of the truck.

last one was 200.00 bucks after they agreed to it I got my rope and snubbed the little jersey up to a tree and bred her. When the other one came in a few weeks later and I arrived she was tied in the chute and her helper holding her tail up for me.

Yes - I am extremely fortunate. Nephew has learned how to AI, but our conception wasn't great - expensive semen. But, I am going to have him try again this year. It isn't the expense "savings" for me - it's the CONVENIENCE!!!

One guy used to charge $50 he came from a hour away, he would come after his route around 3-5 pm. I would put a straw in when I noticed one standing, he would put one in later that day. Our conception rate was 95%. He has since moved.

New guy in the area (1.5 miles away) charges $20 , so far he has been available and shows up 15 minutes after I text him. One for one so far.

Latest posts