Question about Beefmaster.

Help Support CattleToday:

edde_1

Reaction score
Is beefmaster less durable to cold weather weather than other breeds? Or is they only more heat tolerant?

I really like Beefmasters we don´t have them in Sweden but it would be fun order some semen and get some beefmasterXsim calfes.

edde_1":3lenim7c said:
Is beefmaster less durable to cold weather weather than other breeds? Or is they only more heat tolerant?

I really like Beefmasters we don´t have them in Sweden but it would be fun order some semen and get some beefmasterXsim calfes.
of all the brahman cross id have to say beefmaster is most cold tolerant and diffenitly heat tolerant.

I probably wouldn't raise beefmasters if I was in your environment UNLESS I just wanted beefmasters. It's the same reason I have no desire to raise a purebred bos taurus breed in Texas. By doing so, I will have removed the breed from the climate to which it is naturally adapted.

The bos indicus influence allows beefmasters to work more effenciently throughout the majority of the U.S. where climates are tropical or subtropical.

I'm not saying that any breed can't adapt. I just prefer to use a breed that's naturally adapted to my environment.

East Caney":19kzjqy4 said:
I probably wouldn't raise beefmasters if I was in your environment UNLESS I just wanted beefmasters. It's the same reason I have no desire to raise a purebred bos taurus breed in Texas. By doing so, I will have removed the breed from the climate to which it is naturally adapted.

The bos indicus influence allows beefmasters to work more effenciently throughout the majority of the U.S. where climates are tropical or subtropical.

I'm not saying that any breed can't adapt. I just prefer to use a breed that's naturally adapted to my environment.
beefmaster's were'nt naturally adapted to your enviroment they were bred for it. with the simm. influance in the cross i believe it would fare well in his.

I don't see how you could say that Beefmaster is the most cold tolerant since it has the most brahman influence. These animals can take cold. Acclimation is the key, with most any breed.

There are Santa breeders in Canada and New England. I am sure whatever brreed you choose, they will be able to tolerate your climate.

Another thing to keep in mind is that studies have shown that cattle are more adversely affected by heat tahn cold. Bos Indicus influenced cattle have shown that they can tolerate cold weather better than many Bos Taurus cattle can tolerate the heat.

Santas and Duhram Reds":1pt0sveg said:
I don't see how you could say that Beefmaster is the most cold tolerant since it has the most brahman influence. These animals can take cold. Acclimation is the key, with most any breed.
you forget that they are part hereford and short horn. two cold tolerant breeds and grow a pretty good hair coat in winter time.

I didn't forget a thing. Both of those breeds together still come up short of the amount of Bos Taurus influence in other ear cattle breeds.

1/4 + 1/4 will always be < 5/8

It really isn't that difficult to understand.

Santas and Duhram Reds":3v60kog3 said:
I didn't forget a thing. Both of those breeds together still come up short of the amount of Bos Taurus influence in other ear cattle breeds.

1/4 + 1/4 will always be < 5/8

It really isn't that difficult to understand.
ok.. whatever you say. it aint worth arguing over to me. but you might want to check your math.cause its hard to be 1/2 brahman and 5/8 something else

Santas and Duhram Reds":74vmqobg said:
Not arguing, nothing against your breed, we both agree that Beefmasters could tolerate his climate.

Just trying to understand your logic for your statement.
ive alway raised brahamn f1's and been around them i have 4 beefmaster cow's in my herd and its my observation that they are most cold tolerant and do better in the winter than others have

Brahman F1 would be 50% Brahman, just like your Beefmasters.

Other eared cattle, Gerts, Brangus, R. Brangus, Braford, etc. are all 3/8 Brahman. The "cold tolerance" attributes of Bos Taurus cattle would be more prevalent in these breeds than Beefmasters and F1 Brahman cattle

Santas and Duhram Reds":1atyyvlz said:
Brahman F1 would be 50% Brahman, just like your Beefmasters.

Other eared cattle, Gerts, Brangus, R. Brangus, Braford, etc. are all 3/8 Brahman. The "cold tolerance" attributes of Bos Taurus cattle would be more prevalent in these breeds than Beefmasters and F1 Brahman cattle
well see that's the thing im well aware of all the percentage's. as ive been at it for awhile. F1''S have 50/50 split between two breeds. beefmaster's are a 3 way cross they may be half brahman. but they have two breeds in them that are hardy and cold tolerant. they werent natural adapters they were fused together to make a composite breed to be adapters

I think beefmasters should work just fine crossing them with simmentals.I think that you'll get some of the best calves that you have ever raised if you use the right bulls(lasater genetics) I really think you should try it and use heterosis to your advantage and yes beefmasters do well in the cold not canada cold but you can find them as far as montana and ohio place like that but if your crossing them with simmentals I'd be willing to bet that they would perform better than most would think

I'm gonna jump in here and say that as far as the earred breeds of cattle go. That the beefmaster is perhaps the most mongrel of all of them. true make up of the breed IMO has a lot of question marks. With that said, they are my favorite brahman influenced breed out there.

and for edde_1,
I just weaned a Beefmaster x simmental heifer and she may be the best looking animal i have.

Yeah they'll do fine. These are yearling gert bulls.
DSC01803.jpg
[/img]

This is a yearling heifer that just calved.
DSC01801.jpg

It was a miserable calving season.....ugh.

Edde, if you crossed your sims with a beefmaster you would get some awesome offspring.

Thanks all!

I also think it would be nice calfes if i cross BF with my sims.

My only problem is to get the semen shiped to Sweden and to know which bulls to use.