Question about becoming a cattle nutrionist

Help Support CattleToday:

AshD84

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on becoming a cattle nutritionist? I am very curious to learn about this field. Do online training programs exist for something like this? What would be my responsibilities? Is the salary pretty good? Would I get to be around the animals a lot? Thanks for all your help.

I only know one Ash, he is a dairy farmer and works 8am - 5pm as a nutritionist for the local feed mill.

After 4 years of University he works 16 - 18 hours a day through the week. He is going to be well off some day, but I think you get the picture.

AshD84":v0fcbh7f said:
Does anyone have advice on becoming a cattle nutritionist? I am very curious to learn about this field. Do online training programs exist for something like this? What would be my responsibilities? Is the salary pretty good? Would I get to be around the animals a lot? Thanks for all your help.

Majority of the cattle nutritionists I know work in and around feed mills and/or feed lots. Some work for the universities and are teaching, etc.

Get a college degree to expect to get paid above average salaries.

that's really not that much, but i would be around animals so that would definately make it worth it. I kinda feel like Im too old to go back to school, esp. for 4 years. What do you guys think? (Im 22)

AshD84":7w8u828d said:
that's really not that much, but i would be around animals so that would definately make it worth it. I kinda feel like Im too old to go back to school, esp. for 4 years. What do you guys think? (Im 22)

If all it takes to be content is to be around animals, just come on over to Alabama! I'll keep you around animals all day and even give you three square meals a day! :lol:

lol. youre not too old to go back to school!

you might want to look into a position at ABAC. every so often they have a beef cattle postion and also the dairy herdskeeper position come available. the beef cattle job involves a lot of nutrition. you could take classes now and work your way up in it.

well, the closest college for me to attend that has what im looking for is Berry. It's so gorgeous. i could get a degree in animal science.

oh and yes, being around animals makes me very content. My husband's bro and wife live on a farm and we go visit them quite a bit. there's always something to do, like yesterday i got to give the cows shots and i actually got to do a preg check on an expecting mama. i cannot tell you how happy and exciting it was. but i love being around all the cows and horses and buffalo, etc. my husband and i were gonna come home last night, but as we were about to leave we found out there was a cow stuck in the mud. when we got out there, her legs were totally burried. it took us about 2 hours to get her out and at first she did not want to get up, which made me worried, but she finally did. i was afraid we were going to have to put her down like we did another cow who prolapsed and was very septic. it was so sad having to put her down, but she would have suffered and died a little later if we didn't go ahead and get it over with. anyways, im sorry, ive rambled on. :) thanks everyone for being so nice to me and thanks for the advice.

We have a friend who went back and finished her last two years at Sul Ross and graduated this past spring. Two weeks after her 31st birthday. Go back to school.Z

AshD84, you're certainly not too old to go back to school...and you know what, the time's going to pass anyway, whether you do or don't, so you might as well make something of it! I say go for it!

thanks for everything guys. im really going to pray about this. it would totally change my life as i know it. it's such a huge decision. anyways, goodnight everyone.

AshD84, I have a friend in majoring in Animal Science that I'm guessing is around 30 years old. And he's in the same undergrad year as me (2nd). I'm also majoring in Animal Science, planning on speciallizing in beef, so I think you have a good oportunity to get yourself started, and where you're going.

Here's my two cents: Depending on what college/university you're going to (and the programs you take), sometimes they don't start you on learning-in-the-feild until you're in your second or third year. I'm taking an (introductory) Animal Nutrition class right now, called An Sc 260, and all we do is calculations, and computer formulations, no going into the barn and collecting feed. But that's just beginner stuff. See, when you get into you're third and fourth year, and graduate studies, you really start getting your hands (and feet) dirty, collecting feed, analyzing, and carrying out tests in an ag-specialized lab, and getting involved one-on-one with cattle, bison, elk, sheep, horses, etc., taking rumen samples from the rumen (there's a special way that they do that, can't remember what it's called offhand), things like that.

At the university I'm at (the University of Alberta), I have to gain my bachelor degree in Animal Science before I can REALLY start specializing in a feild that interests me. My plans are that once I finish my undergrad here, I plan on transferring to the Lakeland College in Vermillion, Alberta to gain some more learning, and way more hands on experience with the beef herd (they have a cow-calf herd there and a bull-and heifer-test station, as well as an AI unit) that they have there. So from there, I can actually choose where I want to go.

That's just me, I don't knowabout you, but if you have any questions about this, feel free to PM me anytime.