question about animal breeding: tribe

Help Support CattleToday:

burroughs85

Jim Lent is in your area, no matter what is said about his cattle he has kept the anxiety line of Herefords by line breeding and cow families are a big part of that. I've never met the man but would like to make the trip down and meet him and his cattle. Lents Herefords

I have read that cows have greater genetic influence than bull due to mitochondrial DNA, the offspring get the same number of chromosomes from each parent but because of the size difference of egg and sperm, there is more genetic material received from the cow. I believe linebreeding is used to create prepotency in the male to offset this bias towards the female. I should have said at the start that this is WAY over my head.

I have read that cows have greater genetic influence than bull due to mitochondrial DNA, the offspring get the same number of chromosomes from each parent but because of the size difference of egg and sperm, there is more genetic material received from the cow. I believe linebreeding is used to create prepotency in the male to offset this bias towards the female. I should have said at the start that this is WAY over my head.
MItochondrial (non-nuclear) DNA goes from only the mother to the young. The sperm has this type of DNA but it's only in the tail and not received by young. It is linked to mitochondrial diseases if defective. Both male and female young receive mitochondrial DNA from the mother. This type of DNA affects the health of the young. The only exclusive DNA type to a male line is Y-chromosome-nuclear DNA. It goes only from father to son. MItochondrial (non-nuclear) DNA only affects energy levels of cells. It has nothing to do with traits of breed conformity, color, hair texture etc. Calving cows, and mothers of other mammals including humans, with strong Mito genes are essential to offspring health.

Last edited:
The Bedouin kept pedigree records of the Arabians by the mare's bloodlines. Where as we'd say Dry Doc by Doc Bar by Three Bars, they'd say (Mare's name) out of (mare's name) out of (mare's name)_ etc
Whether that is a scientifically-sound breeding practice, I don't know for sure. I'm sure the professors at UC Davis would have all the correct answers for a perfect breeding regimen. It sounds like animal eugenics is the way to go. I've heard that is the way to go for humans as well.

What is the goal of the breeder? What is he trying to produce and for what purposes? Do hunting dog breeders follow the same philosophy as conformity dog breeders? Are show cattle bred differently than beef or dairy cattle? Does health of the offspring matter? Disposition? Temperament?

How does nature select wild animals for breeding?

Do I believe in eugenics? Certainly, living beings with known inherited medical disorders should not be bred.

Last edited:
Whether that is a scientifically-sound breeding practice, I don't know for sure. I'm sure the professors at UC Davis would have all the correct answers for a perfect breeding regimen. It sounds like animal eugenics is the way to go. I've heard that is the way to go for humans as well.

What is the goal of the breeder? What is he trying to produce and for what purposes? Do hunting dog breeders follow the same philosophy as conformity dog breeders? Are show cattle bred differently than beef or dairy cattle? Does health of the offspring matter? Disposition? Temperament?

How does nature select wild animals for breeding?

Do I believe in eugenics? Certainly, living beings with known inherited medical disorders should not be bred.
If the mother is Ivrit the child is Ivrit (Jewish- Hebrew) As I understand it From the father , not so much..

But wait I thought it was All about the cow not the bull when it comes to milk production

burroughs85

Jim Lent is in your area, no matter what is said about his cattle he has kept the anxiety line of Herefords by line breeding and cow families are a big part of that. I've never met the man but would like to make the trip down and meet him and his cattle. Lents Herefords
But aren't all of Lents herford lines bred back to a single Bull? Very similar to the same concept as the line 1 herfords?
Wouldn't this be line breeding based on a particular bull!?

But aren't all of Lents herford lines bred back to a single Bull? Very similar to the same concept as the line 1 herfords?
Wouldn't this be line breeding based on a particular bull!?
Yes on the surface, but the bull doesn't make cow families.

Yes on the surface, but the bull doesn't make cow families.
Each and every animal is a member of some family. Since livestock are so numerous, the pedigrees/family trees are probably maintained by computer software these days. Documenting stock animals must have been a nightmare in 1875. John Wayne had 1,500 head of cattle in The Cowboys. How did he manage to account for the identity and lineage of each and every head? In the film, each head had a market price of $17 then. What does a finished head of beef go for these days?

Last edited:
But wait I thought it was All about the cow not the bull when it comes to milk production
After all the years of dairy bull selection and testing?

Latest posts