question about an old cow

Help Support CattleToday:

andrews29":6vk5pb5d said:
update cow had a nice little heifer yesterday that i would like to keep. So when i put cows out on summer ground im going to put this cow cow on a 3 acre piece of land at the house thats got good grass and maybe give her a little grain as needed. then ship her this fall. Thanks for all the replys. Curtis

That sounds like a plan! If I understand correctly the only thing wrong with the cow is the broken mouth issue, so I guess dehydration, drowning etc is no concern.
:bday: little calf!

I had an old broke mouth cow that also had a breathing problem. She wheezed like an air compressor. She really deteriorated in last years drought and got down to about 800 lbs. Calved out a poor looking pot bellied bull calf in September. I was embarrassed to have her on my place. I brought her home to keep her off the bull and put her on a little better pasture. The neighbors that drove by made fun of me for the skinny cow in my front pasture. I thought she might have Johne's disease. Gave her a few cubes and let out in my yard this spring on grass that I needed to mow. She and the calf dramatically improved. Sold both last week. The cow weighed 950 and brought .83 lb. The steer calf weigh 565 and brought $1.57. The wife said that was the best management decision you have made.

bird dog":2xtwkamd said:
I had an old broke mouth cow that also had a breathing problem. She wheezed like an air compressor. She really deteriorated in last years drought and got down to about 800 lbs. Calved out a poor looking pot bellied bull calf in September. I was embarrassed to have her on my place. I brought her home to keep her off the bull and put her on a little better pasture. The neighbors that drove by made fun of me for the skinny cow in my front pasture. I thought she might have Johne's disease. Gave her a few cubes and let out in my yard this spring on grass that I needed to mow. She and the calf dramatically improved. Sold both last week. The cow weighed 950 and brought .83 lb. The steer calf weigh 565 and brought $1.57. The wife said that was the best management decision you have made.
TLC can do wonders!!!
ANAZAZI -"I am not entirely sure why to bother;" - I had the exact same thought & didn't bother!
Calves do NOT have to be put on milk replacer if they make it to a couple of months of age. Had a cow die with a 2 month old calf on side. Never gave calf any milk. She is nursing her own calf that she had at the age of 24 months old.
Had to raise a calf this year. She was 3 months old and never gave her any milk after mom left. She WILL be in my showstring.
I was going to ask why the HB to MW - but, were you referring to "reincarnation"?

-"I am not entirely sure why to bother;"
Dittos here !
Are you people talking about a dairy cow or a beef cow?
I am talking about a beef cow!
There is a difference you know.

Dairy cows are genetically programmed to produce milk and beef cows are genetically programmed to produce beef.
Make up your mind, are we talking beef cattle or milk cows?
Are we talking hobby farming or cattle for profit?

MW

12 years is old? What have you been doing to their teeth?

As your cows age to the extreme, their BCS changes will begin to show while they wet. That's given you do not have a drought and the cows are all getting their normal grass rations year end and year out. Feeding them hay on sandy loam also wears on their teeth. Take care of your grass, take care of a cow's teeth, you'll get way more than 12 years out of a beef cow.

medicinewoman":2x5cpyp4 said:
Dittos here !

Dairy cows are genetically programmed to produce milk and beef cows are genetically programmed to produce beef.

MW

We are all talking about a beef cow. :bang:
The difference is about caring for the calf. A dairy calf would be cared for anyway, and a dairy cow is most often culled when production declines, regardless of the age of the latest calf.
Both beef cows and dairy cows are genetically programmed to produce milk, and broken mouth cows have not produced any beef since they grew up a long time ago. There are universal truths that apply to both kinds of cow. A calf does not need milk after it is two months, if it is provided with good feed. This is the norm in a dairy farm, and it is the norm when feeding a split off beef calf. :bang: :bang:
And regarding hobby farms versus profit, all I can say is most advice here is about making the right choice to protect the value the cow in question is representing, while making the most of the last calf. All of this is profit oriented, regardless of the scale of the operation, the scale of the operation is not an issue here.
:deadhorse:

medicinewoman":3ep29nrr said:
Dittos here !

MW

Hot dam.... learn something new every day! :secret: :shock:

Thank you for sharing that wealth of knowledge though Sir Loin...

Ohh, how are your bottle calves and miniature horses doing?? :lol2: :wave:

Hot dam.... learn something new every day! :secret: :shock:

Thank you for sharing that wealth of knowledge though Sir Loin...

Ohh, how are your bottle calves and miniature horses doing?? :lol2: :wave:

SSGenetics
Cowhand
Cowhand

dont know why but i find this funny ! Thanks for the laugh SSGenetics

Andrew, glad you got a laugh out of it! Its usually not too hard to get a good one at ole' Sir Loins expense! :compute:

Justin

Latest posts