Question about a sick cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Hwy27

Reaction score
Hi, I have a pretty sick cow and looking for guidance on what to do for her. She's 3 to 4 year old Angus cow, and she has lost alot of weight even though the grass is growing! We put her in the corral today, I was able to give her an antibiotic shot. And I have put some "bounce back" into her water source. She is eating her cubes, and drinking water. She has a 4 month old calf on her, but we have separated them at this time. Any thing else I should do for her? Any Ideas what may be causing her weight loss? Thanks in advance for your input.

The weight loss could be just the calf nursing dragging her down or it could be worms treating her with antibiotics before knowing what's wrong isn't a good idea. Figure out the best you can what the problem is then treat. Take her temp and post a picture so we can see what your talking about

Hwy27":hkc3765y said:
Any thing else I should do for her?
TAKE HER TO THE VET !!!!!!
I have been around and raised cattle most of my life ,46 yrs, when I get one that is sick with something that I don't know what it is I take it to the vet. They are worth to much to just try things with.This site has lots of good info. but it should not replace a Vet

She seems to be doing better today, eating & drinking. She's more alert, we may take her to the vet tomorrow, but we have had the experience of taking a cow to the vet, and he treats them for "a number of things" all at once, and they come home & die! I will call him tomorrow, but we are going to get some sweet feed, and dewormer cubes for her keep her penned up and put some weight back on her! We did put her calf in with her to cut the stress on both of them, they seem to be doing well, doesn't seem she is even making any milk. The calf reconnected with her, but didn't try to nurse. Any other comments are welcome!

Hwy27":datvbgxj said:
She seems to be doing better today, eating & drinking. She's more alert, we may take her to the vet tomorrow, but we have had the experience of taking a cow to the vet, and he treats them for "a number of things" all at once, and they come home & die! I will call him tomorrow, but we are going to get some sweet feed, and dewormer cubes for her keep her penned up and put some weight back on her! We did put her calf in with her to cut the stress on both of them, they seem to be doing well, doesn't seem she is even making any milk. The calf reconnected with her, but didn't try to nurse. Any other comments are welcome!
Usually if you take an animal to the vet and it dies anyway you should have done it a week or 2 earlier. They aren;t miracle workers, too often people wait until there is no hope then hope the vet can fix it.

Thanks Dun, you may be correct. You know we keep a pretty good eye on our herd, but things can get by without realizing how far it has progressed. I will call him tomorrow & give him her symptoms & do as he says!

Too many possibilities with those symptoms - a vet casting an eye over her or running a blood test can be helpful.

I could list cows that showed symptoms as you describe and what was wrong with each of them, if we found the cause and there'd be a dozen different possibilities ranging from milking well through pneumonia, liver damage, treatable scours, dicky heart, Johnes, in one case the cow had a broken rib and was in pain and hence not eating...

I don't disagree with giving her a shot of antibiotics because provided you give her enough to start with, if she then improves at least you know what fixed it. Painkiller often works wonders too.

Thanks for your possible ideas, she does seem to be doing better, with all the green grass out there, she has pretty runny poop. I am hoping that she will start eating the hay we gave her. So far she has been eating her cubes and the green grass in the corral. It seems the antibiotic may be helping, she is spry enough now that I cannot get close enough to give her another shot, even if it was Vitamin B shot! I wish I had an oral application to give her! I will talk to the vet tomorrow, and nurse her back to health! She seems to have sort of a cough also, may help narrow things down some.

I have a beef cow that eats well but is losing weight. Everything she eats whether it is fresh grass or dry hay it comes out as diarhea. What could this be?

hydroguy":283btbn2 said:
I have a beef cow that eats well but is losing weight. Everything she eats whether it is fresh grass or dry hay it comes out as diarhea. What could this be?

How old is she and when did she last calve ? Get a fecal done by your vet and isolate her from any other livestock asap.

hydroguy":3v30678l said:
She is about 6yrs old. Had a calf last spring.Poop is a little dark.

Let me guess, she has not had a heat or has not caught after being exposed so she is still open now , and is bone rail thin ? Quarantine her and get a fecal sample to your vet asap .

this morning one of my cow was found dead. when skinning it we found on the right front leg blood clots. the whole leg hed blood cloths and was smelling.the cow didnt show any sign of sickness before. What kind of desease is this and what should i do prevent othet cows going the same direction.

You need to take temp The thermator is your best friend it should be in your shirt pocket at all times for the cow in question . Any vet will take the temp first to start a direction of treatment .

sabiwac":qaz0kzu7 said:
this morning one of my cow was found dead. when skinning it we found on the right front leg blood clots. the whole leg hed blood cloths and was smelling.the cow didnt show any sign of sickness before. What kind of desease is this and what should i do prevent othet cows going the same direction.

Black leg or anthrax ?? You need to get your vet involved asap. Vaccinate the whole herd with the works.