Ques on breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Howard

Reaction score
I was wondering which breeds have a good temperament and gain quite well on grass(possibly finish on it). Thanks for any advice.

Howard

I currently reside in Minnesota so the animals would only be out on pasture half the year and the rest would be hay. I've heard that Red Polls can get a bit fiesty at times and I was looking for a breed that my kids could be around and I wouldn't have to worry a great deal.

Howard":3jidy5ck said:
I currently reside in Minnesota so the animals would only be out on pasture half the year and the rest would be hay. I've heard that Red Polls can get a bit fiesty at times and I was looking for a breed that my kids could be around and I wouldn't have to worry a great deal.

Herefords, Polled Herefords or horned Herefords. Hereford angus crosses would work well too

dun":16hc4a4g said:
Howard":16hc4a4g said:

Herefords, Polled Herefords or horned Herefords. Hereford angus crosses would work well too
Second that. Polled provide less chance of getting a goose-egg in yer forehead though. We used to run some really, really gentle Horned Herefords. Just nice as pie. But one swung her head to get a fly and knocked the living daylights outta me.

Howard":150220nq said:
never heard that one just the opposite...though red polls aint as plentiful as they use too be. and a little harder too come by..

I'll say polled Herefords also, the only reason over horned is because you don't have to mess with removing or training the horns (as well as the knot in the forehead factor mentioned before). My Herfs are very easy going and I'm at ease around them all the time. I do watch a couple and the first time heifers at calving time, only at calving and I always, always keep my eye on the bulls when I'm in with them starting at about 6 to 8 months old. With that being said, all breeds have there bad eggs even Herefords.... I believe Herefords just have far fewer bad eggs. But any cow, steer, BULL you try to make a pet out of will bust you up some what one day, be it a sore toe, bruises, or a stay in the hospital or in the ground.

Just my two cents, go with polled herfords.

Alan

alacattleman":15z4ehpp said:
Howard":15z4ehpp said:
never heard that one just the opposite...though red polls aint as plentiful as they use too be. and a little harder too come by..

Kinda what I was thinking as docitilty is one of there main traits. My grand kids, and wife are around them all the time. That's one of the best thing they like is being able to walk out in the pasture and give them a hug from time to time. The granddaughter has been showing since she was 7.

Actually there are quite a few Red Polls you just have to know where to look. I'm putting together about 50 head for a guy in Texas right now.

Latest posts