Queen of the south

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":nu35a5bd said:
Yes they are, and as good a moma as they look...if their udder holds up.. you'll grow old with them..

Hauled some for my neighbor in the 2011 drought in there mid twenties.
Still had good teeth,BCS and dropping calf every 12 months .

Mine can jump a five foot fence like a deer. Most mornings I see her looking in the back door waiting for me to go outside. She is probably smarter than me, too. Got me trained...aint that somethin

For JWBrahman

6y1nid.jpg

20kdrid.jpg

20gxjwj.jpg

Thanks, Ron.

Alacowman we have 90-100 pound coy dogs and coyotes running loose everywhere. Those horns make em keep their distance.

They also keep my cousin's 2,000 lb cow killer Brangus bulls on his side of the fence. That 2 year old Prophet son is only a frame 5.

He figured if he got the biggest bulls he could find the calves will gain faster than his Charolais sired calves...you gotta have pasture for em to grow. After he loses a bunch and spends all calving season pulling calves he'll learn his lesson.

How far north do you think the F-1 tiger stripe is superior to other breeds of cattle?

I have thought hard about trying a few I'm just afraid those single digits and negative temps will cause me problems.

kentuckyguy":xgd2xuey said:
How far north do you think the F-1 tiger stripe is superior to other breeds of cattle?

I have thought hard about trying a few I'm just afraid those single digits and negative temps will cause me problems.

Now this is just my two cents in playing with them over the last four decades.
The ones showing more Hereford characteristics seem to hair over better.
They are tough cattle that deliver results in temperatures other breeds would melt.
IMOO if I were looking for Brahman influences in your neck of the woods I would look at Brangus or Gerts.

kentuckyguy":3rt4fys4 said:

ive read, and it makes sense..using I20 as a line, any thing above it 1/4 Brahman influence.. Though some of the Brahman influenced breeds vary in percentages you won't see a whole lot of difference when you get below half blood...

Thanks guys :tiphat:

I wish I had access to some land up north to run a comparison. This is a bull calf from a Black, Brangus, F1 Cow X Hereford Bull. I just don't understand how some some could dock him for too much Brahman and say he won't grow out like others will. These calves, if its cool enough, will put on quite a bit of curly hair and every thing.

20180617_200509_zpsbeqath9s.jpg

Im thinking about starting a breed with them and calling them Super Black Herefords. :hide:

You loose the bang for the buck when you stabilize the composite.
The three way cross is the most bang for the buck.
I sent Alacowman a presentation on hybred vigor by Riley from TAMU.
I can't figure out how to post it maybe he can.

Brute..I wasn't just talking about the great looking cows...the overall quality and clarity of the photo is equally good. Someone has a good photo eye

Latest posts