Quarantine Coral

Help Support CattleToday:

TGCJ7

Reaction score
Next year I'd like to increase my stocking rate. Buying 500 lb feeder calves from the sale barn in the spring and selling them in the fall, is one way I've considered doing this. I'm planning on building a 200 by 160 pen/paddock with two additional holding pens and a loading area inside that pen. My question is, would this work as a quarantine coral if it located adjacent to my main pasture?
How far away should I locate a pen used to quarantine sale barn cattle?
Thanks
Tim

There are two things I would be concerned about.

1. If the fence isn't secure enough, the cows will get together before you want them to.

2. If you just use one fence, you will get contact. It would be better to use two fences to separate them by some feet. You could always make the area between fences a runway to move cows around.

i diffinitely want several feet between potentailly sick animals and my healthy herd water and air bourne diseases, coughing, diarrhea ,, keeping clean water every day from nasal discharge floating in tanks, keeping plenty on bleach on hand, clean feed bunks they need too be protected from their selves as well a the healthy ones

TGCJ7":1ioqoaph said:
Next year I'd like to increase my stocking rate. Buying 500 lb feeder calves from the sale barn in the spring and selling them in the fall, is one way I've considered doing this. I'm planning on building a 200 by 160 pen/paddock with two additional holding pens and a loading area inside that pen. My question is, would this work as a quarantine coral if it located adjacent to my main pasture?
How far away should I locate a pen used to quarantine sale barn cattle?
Thanks
Tim

I'd tell myself they had a serious disease and put them far enough away from "the herd" that they couldn't even smell them.

I had a similar discussion with our vet a couple of years ago about bringing in some new cows. He said to keep them as far away form each other as possible or you might just as well turn them all in together. I suppose it depends on how far is "as far as possible". In our case it's about 1/4 mile, I would think if they're within a hunred yards or so you might as well just run them all together.
He also said the minimum to quarantine them was 30 days, if less, run them all together.

dun":3klus629 said:
I had a similar discussion with our vet a couple of years ago about bringing in some new cows. He said to keep them as far away form each other as possible or you might just as well turn them all in together. I suppose it depends on how far is "as far as possible". In our case it's about 1/4 mile, I would think if they're within a hunred yards or so you might as well just run them all together.
He also said the minimum to quarantine them was 30 days, if less, run them all together.
when my neighbor was stocking his herd with sale barn cattle.. the dumb ass just turned em loose.,, i had too quarantine my herd from his, a pasture over during his runs to the barn ..till i felt it was safe too let em run the fence line together

Latest posts