Quality vs Quantity

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I've seen a few posts within these boards that touch on the debate of quality vs quantity when it comes to which breed to choose and what is more important. Those posts got me thinking of the first cow I sent to be slaughtered. As a side note, we raise just a couple of simmental/angus for our own beef. Anyway, we took our first one in and she dressed out near 600 pounds of beef, and I've never tasted better roast, steak and even ground beef in my entire life. So, which is more important? Would I sacrifice beef quality by letting our cows age and fatten up a bit more before I take them in to the slaughter house? Should I have gotten more than 600 pounds of beef? I took this one in when she was about 14 months old.

Your opinions and thoughts are appreciated.

rwhite

[email protected]

When I address quality vs yield grade I'm refering to the USDA grading system. If you are satisfied with the quality (not quality grade) of the beef then you are doing it right. for the yield aspect (not yield grade) if the butcher doesn't have to trim and dispose of a lot of fat either internal or external and the cuts are trimmed as close as you like, then you're doing that part right too. Persoanlly we like beef that are 2 to 2 1/2, it tastes more like beef. But we also like a lot of wild game so we prefer a lot of flavor in our meat. Just my opinions.

dun

> I've seen a few posts within these
> boards that touch on the debate of
> quality vs quantity when it comes
> to which breed to choose and what
> is more important. Those posts got
> me thinking of the first cow I
> sent to be slaughtered. As a side
> note, we raise just a couple of
> simmental/angus for our own beef.
> Anyway, we took our first one in
> and she dressed out near 600