Quail

Help Support CattleToday:

When we bought this farm we would occasioanlly hear one. Now we have 3 coveys and hear them all the time. NEAT

I was thinking about them the other day.It has been 3 years since I have seen one and I cant remember the last time I saw a covey of wild ones.

I can only hear them at one of the farms, wish we'd get some at the house but i don't see that happening. There's a resident Bob White at the place I volunteer I love hearing when I'm working. :)

It's getting more common for me. The important thing about bringing them back is to make sure they have the proper habitat.

grannysoo":t4f0ka8s said:
It's getting more common for me. The important thing about bringing them back is to make sure they have the proper habitat.

Thats it. All you gottar remember is diversity, edge and fire and you will have the birds.

Saw two run through the yard this morning. I love to see them scoot.

Picture a beautiful spring morning in the middle of calving season. Me getting up, grabbing the first cup of coffee, and quietly slipping out of the house to check the cows. Plenty of moon in the predawn to see without a light, and I quietly slip through the fresh, green grass painted with frost. As I listen to the contented sound of the cows chewing their cud, calves nursing and the birds getting ready to greet the sunrise, A DANGED QUAIL BLOWS UP RIGHT UNDER MY FEET AND SCARES THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF ME :shock: :lol2:

Happens at least once a year, and I'm starting to develop a nervous tick when I walk through the pasture in the dark. Then they mock me with their song for the rest of the summer.

Our yard really got out of control with all the rain we've been having. And a covey of quail moved in. We've mowed now and haven't seen them since. But do hear them at night. Our Roadrunner population has increased the last few years, too.

jkwilson":chctki76 said:
Picture a beautiful spring morning in the middle of calving season. Me getting up, grabbing the first cup of coffee, and quietly slipping out of the house to check the cows. Plenty of moon in the predawn to see without a light, and I quietly slip through the fresh, green grass painted with frost. As I listen to the contented sound of the cows chewing their cud, calves nursing and the birds getting ready to greet the sunrise, A DANGED QUAIL BLOWS UP RIGHT UNDER MY FEET AND SCARES THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF ME :shock: :lol2:

Happens at least once a year, and I'm starting to develop a nervous tick when I walk through the pasture in the dark. Then they mock me with their song for the rest of the summer.

Try having a TURKEY blow up right under your feet!

We planted a field of switchgrass in 2000 and started rotationally grazing it the next year. The Ohio DNR have been trapping quail every year in that field since then. They release the quail in other areas of Ohio for repopulating.

Many fond memories of quail hunting as a boy.
I spent many cold December/January Saturdays with a buddy walking miles behind a couple of bird dogs.
Getting the limit happened often.
We would bring the birds home, clean them and my Mom would cook them in a big, black cast iron skillet.
She would make cat head biscuits and saw mill gravey that we poured over the biscuits.
We would eat until I thought I was going to pop, then Mom would bring out another batch of hot biscuits, with butter and a bucket of molasses....this was dessert.
Growing up in Mississippi in the early 1960's, it seemed like we were poor. Today I realize how rich we were.

Bob Graves
Winona, Ms