Quail Hunters????

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":1knye1o8 said:
On a lighter note :lol2:

1176204_10200494185857629_1446523990_n.jpg

That's hilarious!

Caustic Burno":1vnl2a9m said:
Ouachita":1vnl2a9m said:
How many bird hunters do we have here on CT? I've turkey hunted all my life, been duck hunting once, and only hunted quail and dove a few times in my early teens (30 years ago), and that was without a dog. The quail and dove population seemed to become non-existant from the mid 80's up until a few years ago. Since my grand parents passed on, the old farm place now has grown up fence rows and thickets around old equipment. I can't walk the place without getting a near heart attack when a cuvvy flushes in front of me. They are everywhere. I think hunting quail would be fun with a dog, but have never had a bird dog. Any suggestions on dogs and guns/chokes? Other tips/tricks?

What is this quail bird you speak of?
Just got in from dove hunting, tore their little butts up this morning.
They were flying good this morning coming in for that morning drink.

Was at my wife's house Sunday morning....pert near next to the corn fields in farming country. Boggles the mind to try to visualize the pile of shells busted just withing hearing range. Could easily have been 2 or 3 a second and went on for hours. LOL....also wonder how many of those were pop-pop-pop-dam....... :lol:

Just got in from dove hunting ole DD fetched 9 back to me. Never had to get out of my chair.
Busted 13 cap's this morning. I am going to have to remember to take my camera so I can get a picture of a Jack Russell retrieving.

Caustic Burno":1pnx2ylf said:
Just got in from dove hunting ole DD fetched 9 back to me. Never had to get out of my chair.
Busted 13 cap's this morning. I am going to have to remember to take my camera so I can get a picture of a Jack Russell retrieving.

That the sorry one, that you didn't think would work out? :mrgreen:

3waycross":36f7izbm said:
Caustic Burno":36f7izbm said:

That the sorry one, that you didn't think would work out? :mrgreen:

Yep she is just barely passing.

Jogeephus":3l7j93lb said:
Beautiful dog! Best I ever had was when I was young and did the same as you. Dog's name was Bob and he was my shadow and all he wanted to do was please me and hunt birds. He was so sharp he even would try to stuff the birds in my sack for me. In return, one pat on the head and a good boy and he was back in the game finding singles.

Thanks Jo. I love that dumb dog and just lucked into finding her. In person, she is even prettier. I hope to find a good, big old country line male to breed her to next spring. I want a pup out of her before she's too old, plus there are several people waiting for me to get around to it.

I probably told this story on here before, but the dog I mentioned earlier sounds like Bob. His name was General Lee. He was always picking something new up. One summer, we (my brother and I) over loaded a stock tank with fish before transplanting to other locations. And as expected by anyone older than 12, several began dying. He watched me grab the dead ones floating on the top, and take them out to the garden and bury them. Next thing I know, he's dragging the dead ones out of the tank and digging a hole to bury them in the garden. He even pushed dirt back over them with his nose. Problems began when we transplanted the majority and the fish stopped dying. He knew we didn't want those fish in there, so he started catching live fish. He would fish in the stock tanks all summer long for years. He finally got them all, the gold fish included.

3waycross":3l7j93lb said:
I have nothing at all against a GSP except that they are just not as biddable as Labs and not as versitale either.

Watch out now... bad mouthing a man's dog to some people is as bad as touching his womens. :D I agree on the average, with exceptions in all breeds. I like several breeds, but just have a fondness for GSP's. I figure there are trade offs to them all, and probably the worst night mare my mutt could have would be for me to give her to a duck hunter.

That old yeller picture you posted is how monitors get ruined! :lol2:

I am having heII finding Winchester Super X game load in 6's in 16 gauge. I have found them in 8's which is ok for doves not the brush runner's. We have a dove hunt coming up down south next weekend. I am going I don't care what the Doctor or the Mrs say's.
I love the hull for reloading I only have about two boxes left.
I have reloaded all the hulls as high velocity for tree rat's. Hate to burn up HV shotgun shells on doves.
When I do find them somewhere I am ordering a case.

Latest posts