Qs- soybeans and weight gain?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
I'm looking for something to feed a group of weaned calves that will put some more weight on 'em and increase that ADG. They're holstein, about 500-525lbs or so. Want 'em at 800 by January. That's a gain of about 300lbs in 110 days. So they need to gain almost 3lbs/day. (Yes, I know I'm asking a lot out of Holsteins! LOL)

I think they've been averaging 2-2.5lbs per day on 7-10lbs of a barley, corn, cottonseed ration but I want more gain. I know I can up their grain, but I'm really looking for something that will put on the most body weight with the least $$$ and the least grain poundage in the least amount of time.

I've been reading through the posts about soybeans and note than some folks use them in a finishing ration, as well as in growing rations.

So looking from some opinions - would soybeans work to give some extra gain? high protein...fat...? I'd be mixing them with the current barley/corn/cottonseed base ration. Would you recommend whole soybeans? soybean meal? or some other variation? Or might there be something else that would put on the pounds even better?

Thanks!

sobean meal is high in fat . if my memory isnt totally gone.so that would put some weight on them.whole soybeans would do you no good.b/c to use them they would need tobe roasted.so id go soybean meal at 4lbs a day.you can get them to gain 2.5 to 2.8lb a day.but you will be feeding the fire outta them to get 3lbs gain or more a day.hence blowing them an you pocket book out. scott

You can get 3#/day from holsteins but you will need to give them more grain especially as they get bigger. Corn is cheap right now, I'd go that route.

Latest posts