Q's bout vaccinations & vitamins ect.

Help Support CattleToday:

VtMapleGal

Reaction score
I have a 4-5 mo old Heifer whom i will be keeping to breed when she is old enough. My question is, what vaccinations should she be getting and at what age? I defently know rabies, but anything else? She is not with other cows, and more then likely we will AI her when the time comes...i am in southern vermont if that makes a difference, and she has never had any vaccines before. Also, should she get any vitamin shots or anything like that? She is on 2 1/2 pounds 14% grain a day and free choice grass hay. She just had a fecal checked for worms and it came back negative. She had a shot of Ivomec 3 weeks ago. [/quote]

Ask your vet for a vaccination protocol for your area. Here in Oregon we don't vaccinate for rabies in cattle........never heard of that unless it is a specific problem where you are? She should be having her 1st round of shots now. If you do not have a local vet, call the state vet's office & see what is recommended.

I have yet to find a local vet in my area who does cows. They are all small animal, or horse vets. Im not really in "cattle" country per say, as most farms in vermont are in northern vermont, and are dairy cows. Ill try contacting the state vet.

Absolutely, contact your county agent. Also, you might try one of your state universities. Surely there would be an ag department...

Alice

VtMapleGal":ikp5hyc4 said:
I have a 4-5 mo old Heifer whom i will be keeping to breed when she is old enough. My question is, what vaccinations should she be getting and at what age? I defently know rabies, but anything else? She is not with other cows, and more then likely we will AI her when the time comes...i am in southern vermont if that makes a difference, and she has never had any vaccines before. Also, should she get any vitamin shots or anything like that? She is on 2 1/2 pounds 14% grain a day and free choice grass hay. She just had a fecal checked for worms and it came back negative. She had a shot of Ivomec 3 weeks ago.
[/quote]

Check to see if Vermont has a Livestock Board - that will tell you what vaccinations (such as brucellosis) are required by the state. If you don't have a LA vet, talk to the feed stores, other ranchers, and your local extension office for guidance. You can also talk to LA vets in surrounding towns/cities for guidance. I'm thinking that since you have one heifer that she is in a corral? If so, 2 1/2 pounds of 14% grain a day may possibly be a little too much. If she becomes overly fat she will deposit fat in her udder which will decrease her ability to milk when she is bred, and being overly fat will interfere with her ability to settle, as well as calve out. You might want to talk to your feed stores to find a ration that will provide your heifer with what she needs to grow and develop, but not allow her to become overly developed and too fat.

A vaccine program we are getting started is an 8-Way booster at branding (About 1-2 months of age), this year they will also be getting a pasturrella vaccine at the same time.
Bangs vaccine before 12 months of age also give Bovi Shield Gold5.
Second booster for 8-Way at about 6-8 months of age and second for Gold5 about a month to a month and a half before breeding.
Is this a beef cow or dairy?
We also used to give an A-D vitamin shot, but with our mineral program it is no longer needed.
Finding a good vet is hard. Good luck.

She is a beef cow, and doesnt seem fat. I can very easily feel her ribs. She was thin when i got her, but i will watch to make sure she doesnt get fat. I asked the feed store, but they were not much help. The "cow" guy that used to be there left. She has a salt block which she does lick (the red kind) but no minierals at the moment (i am trying to find some) the feed store here doesnt carry anything.

Feeling her ribs is ok, especially if you can feel a thin layer of fat over them and between the bones.
Can you feel the vertabra on her back easily? If it is very promanat and you feel nothing on either side she is low on the body score and needs to fatten up.
Can you feel her pelvic bone also? Check her brisket too.
If there is some fat on her and you can feel it over these spots them she is alright. Look up body score on this site that should help you.
Can the feed store order some mineral and feed or are they just giving you the run around? If they are giving you the run around maybe you can find a different store.

She does have fat on her brisket, and on her back. There is a thin layer of fat on her ribs. You cant see them, but she has her winter coat. I am trying to find exactly what i want in a mineral supplement before i ask them to order it....im having a hard time finding out what she needs.

Sounds like she is in good condition.
Our first stab in the dark with mineral was with a basic 12-12 Bloc.
Since each area is different the nutritants in the soil are different. Do you know anybody else in the area who raise cows? How about North of you?
Is there a 4-H club near by? Sometimes those leaders also have good info.
Were you able to get ahold of a vet?

She definitely needs something like an 8-way one shot vaccination, and if it were me, I would not worry about the rabies shot. Sounds like you got the wormer covered, and keep feeding her the 14% with plenty of good hay, and water. What vet have you used for your other cattle when you have had problems?

She is my first cow. I did call 4-H leaders around here, but they are all horses. I'm still calling around for a vet. I found one who says he does cows, but he is a small animal vet and its hard for him to leave appoinments if there is an emergency. I asked him about shots and minerals and he said none were needed. I think i'll keep looking.

That vet probably is saying that none is needed because if a calf is still sucking on its momma, they usually dont need any vaccinations until they are around 6 mths or so..

I'm closer to your area. Yes, rabies is a concern & "if" you get a vet out (oops, Vt may not have to get it thru the vet - we do)
She should get: IBR, PI3, BVD, BRSV, 5-way Lepto (this is given in one shot, like BoviShield Gold 5 L-5), also the clostridials (7 or 8 way product like UltraBac), Pasturella (Pfizer's OneShot - or you can use OneShot-Ultra which covers the Pasturella & the clostridials - but the clostridials may need booster, you would have to read label, can't remember). The BRSV in the BS Gold 5 L-5 needs a booster shot in about 4 weeks (read label).
I would strongly recommend using Modified Live Vaccines vs Killed Vaccines where possible.
You can check out pharmaceutical companies on line. Here is PBS:
http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-loca ... ?E+scstore
So, if I were you, I would purchase:
BoviShield 5-L5 (5-dose bottle will be smallest you can get & will have to throw away the rest - can't be kept)
BoviShield BRSV (5-dose - can keep)
One-Shot Ultra (will have to throw away extra)
Ultra-Bac 7 (can keep)

It may be difficult for you to get what you want from a vet, so purchasing thru catalogs may be your best option.

As far as how much to feed her - you should START out at 1% of her body weight. So if she is weighing 400# (which is the weight she should be at that age, depending on the breed) than she should easily be getting 4#/day, than she should be increased slowly til she reaches 3% of her body weight. So by all rights, she can easily be getting 12# of grain a day. Not meaning she NEEDS that much, but it is a very SAFE level of grain (this is all on the assumption of 400# body weight). You need to decide how much grain (more or less) she needs by her body condition. Don't be fooled by the winter hair. IF YOU CAN FEEL her SPINE, she needs more grain.