Qbuestion on bull-buying decisions

Help Support CattleToday:

reporter

Reaction score
Hello, chatters --

What economic factors will shape or influence your bull-buying decisions in 2007 that didn't matter to you in 2006?

Thanks,

Reporter

If the market continues like it is, and the summer is supposed to be hard again here in Texas, I'm going to get some more bulls and keep replacements. Pull my terminal bulls. Then rethink. If that doesn't work, drop back 10 and punt.

reporter":wel87dgt said:
Hello, chatters --

What economic factors will shape or influence your bull-buying decisions in 2007 that didn't matter to you in 2006?

Thanks,

Reporter

Size of herd has decreased due to environmental and financial circumstances. Don't need as many bulls. Definately don't need to be shopping for bulls for a while because between the bulls I own and the semen I have, I got more then enough bull power. :) Think I'll concentrate on just raising a few good'ns for the future to save a little money. However, I will be looking more closely at breeding for future herd replacements, so I will concentrate on the sires who will give me the good female side of the equation.

The biggest economic factor currently affecting my decision is the weather. I'm actively looking for more pasture to lease in 2007. If I find it, then the weather will determine whether I can expand ...or just spread out the cattle I have over a larger acreage.

Failure to find additional pasture AND continued drought will give me no choice but to reduce my cowherd even further - and it will eliminate any need to buy any additional bulls to clean up after AI.

George

Thanks for your responses. But are these economic and environmental conditions forcing you to approach bull selection differently? Are drought conditions and/or lack of availability making you rethink the genetics of your cow herd?

thanks