Qail, Pheasant, Grouse hunters.

Help Support CattleToday:

I assume you are blaming the raccoons, etc. for the decline in game birds, like quail. Long before people came to the Americas and began killing small predators (not to mention birds) in huge numbers, the birds and predators were doing just fine together.

The decline in all birds is primarily due to the declines in the small insects that the hatchlings eat, if they hatch, and failure of the eggs to hatch. The pesticides that are killing the insects at an alarming rate, including pollinators which we people need to pollinate our food plants, are also causing game bird (and other bird's eggs) not to hatch and if they do, the hatchlings can't find enough small insects to survive. The lack of insects is also causing migratory song birds to die of starvation. The birds get a double whammy, not enough insects, especially for their young ones and one seed coated with one of the most deadly insecticides, Imidacloprid, causes a song bird to either die soon after eating it or have their brain affected so they get lost, especially during migration, usually resulting in death. In the U.S., the insects have declined by about 65% in the last 50 years and the birds have declined by slightly more.

The same insecticide that kills the birds, Imidacloprid, was found to cause underdeveloped facial bones and reproductive malformations on white-tailed deer that were deliberately exposed. I doubt that it is a coincidence that cattle, goats, sheep and bison, llama and other camelids, horses and other equines, dog, cats and newborn children all began having the same birth defects. And that it was in the same year as the white-tailed deer and other wild grazing animals began being born with those birth defects. Imidacloprid was registered for use in 1994 and was quite widely used that year, especially in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Texas and Florida. The birth defects on mammals, reptiles and birds began in spring of 1995 and became more prevalent as more neonicotinoids like Imidacloprid were used.

You all should type an animal like "domestic goats underbite images" on Google and see all the photos of goats with underbite. Do the same with domestic calves underbite images and lots of photos of calves with underbite are shown. Same with horse foals or other domestic animals, dogs, cats. Or try children underbite images. I taught grade school in the 1970s and there were no children with underbite, autism, missing limbs, etc. in any of the classes in the schools where I taught. Those birth defects became common in newborn children beginning in 1995, but no one seems to care about the children and no one will do anything about the birth defects on the domestic animals. Livestock owners don't seem to care if their animals are born with underbite or overbite or weird looking male genitalia, so the toxins responsible keep being used.
Ignore this clown.

Where is "here"?
You may be able to Google it. Locals referr to it as "Contran" might be mistaken but i think they give tours of the property. It's North of Ozark Arkansas.

You get off I40 at the 219 exit turn North, go about 10 miles. You will see the gates with the cameras. Your There.

The old man who bought it was pretty fond of the place. There is one place in particular that he had a pavilion built so that he could watch a water fall and look down into a mountain valley.

He flew in to spend some time on his property and went to watch his favorite water fall but it was in the summer. Everything was dry, creek that fed the water fall was low. So the water fall wasn't flowing.

So the old man ask his care takers why the water fall wasn't flowing. They explained it to him. After he told them he wanted the water fall flowing when he comes in. They built a 5 maybe 10 acre lake with a pipe line coming out of it feeding the the creek that flows over the water fall. So when they knew the owner was going to be coming in to spend time looking at his water fall. The care takers would open the valve to make sure the old man's water fall was flowing. Lol !!! True story.

Last time I was there the care takers were in the process of building a Chinese water clock. I am not even going to attempt explaining what that is. It's a combination of flues that fill a 55 gallon barrel every so offten.

The old man had the man made lake stocked with hybrid large mouth bass so that his guest could fish. One of his guest was Ophra Whimpfry.

Tux that Contran is supposed to be some type if real estate corporation out of Texas from what i was told.

I assume you are blaming the raccoons, etc. for the decline in game birds, like quail. Long before people came to the Americas and began killing small predators (not to mention birds) in huge numbers, the birds and predators were doing just fine together.

The decline in all birds is primarily due to the declines in the small insects that the hatchlings eat, if they hatch, and failure of the eggs to hatch. The pesticides that are killing the insects at an alarming rate, including pollinators which we people need to pollinate our food plants, are also causing game bird (and other bird's eggs) not to hatch and if they do, the hatchlings can't find enough small insects to survive. The lack of insects is also causing migratory song birds to die of starvation. The birds get a double whammy, not enough insects, especially for their young ones and one seed coated with one of the most deadly insecticides, Imidacloprid, causes a song bird to either die soon after eating it or have their brain affected so they get lost, especially during migration, usually resulting in death. In the U.S., the insects have declined by about 65% in the last 50 years and the birds have declined by slightly more.

The same insecticide that kills the birds, Imidacloprid, was found to cause underdeveloped facial bones and reproductive malformations on white-tailed deer that were deliberately exposed. I doubt that it is a coincidence that cattle, goats, sheep and bison, llama and other camelids, horses and other equines, dog, cats and newborn children all began having the same birth defects. And that it was in the same year as the white-tailed deer and other wild grazing animals began being born with those birth defects. Imidacloprid was registered for use in 1994 and was quite widely used that year, especially in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Texas and Florida. The birth defects on mammals, reptiles and birds began in spring of 1995 and became more prevalent as more neonicotinoids like Imidacloprid were used.

You all should type an animal like "domestic goats underbite images" on Google and see all the photos of goats with underbite. Do the same with domestic calves underbite images and lots of photos of calves with underbite are shown. Same with horse foals or other domestic animals, dogs, cats. Or try children underbite images. I taught grade school in the 1970s and there were no children with underbite, autism, missing limbs, etc. in any of the classes in the schools where I taught. Those birth defects became common in newborn children beginning in 1995, but no one seems to care about the children and no one will do anything about the birth defects on the domestic animals. Livestock owners don't seem to care if their animals are born with underbite or overbite or weird looking male genitalia, so the toxins responsible keep being used.
Thank you for bringing this up and I will Google these topics like you reccomend.

I think you might be under estimating just how many people are as concerned about what is happening as you are.

I think alot of people myself included aren't aware of imidacloprid and it's destruction that it is causing.

I have never heard of that before now. And i am sure you are probably right about everything you have said about it.

Except for you thinking there aren't as many people as you think that are every bit as concerned about what is happening as you and I are.

Exspecially when it comes to hunters or out door enthusiasts. The American indians were both Hunter gathers and would die to protect their Mother earth. For generations they passed their way of life down to their children and by doing so. Man and nature lived in harmony together.

But something has happened that has and is changing all of that. Personally I could name alot of things that are at fault. But there isn't anything I can do about it. Nor do I beleave can anyone else can do anything to change the direction we are headed.

The reason i say this is because the world has 7.8 billion people living on it. I think it would be hard to find 10 people out of thoes 7.8 billion who could agree 100 % on subjects like wether or not we should be using imidacloprid. Or any other things that are causing destruction to the world we are living in.

I was reading a post in here where some said that the unabomer might not have been as wrong in his way of thinking as people might have thought he was.

Personally I think that post was right. Not that I think that the Unabomber was right for planting mail bombs.

I know he was off in the head for doing that. But I think he was right in thinking that technology is going to be the destruction of society. And eventually the world itself.

I have said more than once the younger generation doesn't see what is happening because they don't know how things were even 50 years ago. They can't compare now to then. If they could they would be able to understand things are getting bad instead of better.

But you J Hoy and others your age can and do see it happening. And you must know like I do. There is nothing anybody can do about it. Would you agree or disagree with my assumption about that J Hoy ? If you disagree please explain what can be done to change the path we are headed down. For you and other people our age and older we will miss the worst of what is to come.

People 40 years old and younger I think will see harder times than the great depression ever was.

Around here, fire ants wreak havoc on ground animals
I graduated high school in 1978.
When I was a kid bob white quail were everywhere, my grandpas place in Washington County were covered up with quail on good years.
When the fire ants moved in they were no more.
My place in Coleman County has quail but hawks and nest raiders keep their numbers low.
I went out to the ranch last July and as soon as I got out to open the gate I could hear some calling.
It use to be that way when I was a kid here at home.

I graduated high school in 1978.
When I was a kid bob white quail were everywhere, my grandpas place in Washington County were covered up with quail on good years.
When the fire ants moved in they were no more.
My place in Coleman County has quail but hawks and nest raiders keep their numbers low.
I went out to the ranch last July and as soon as I got out to open the gate I could hear some calling.
It use to be that way when I was a kid here at home.
Exactly as a kid we saw them everywhere and then the red ants came. In the evenings you could hear the quail calling. I miss that

The first Fire ants were discovered here last week so I can't blame it on them. Growing up we shot and trapped every predator in the area. No hawk was safe. We didn't have any coyotes until the 80's and coons were rare.
I think the fescue had a lot to do with the quail not doing well here. Fescue came at the same time that the yotes, coons, hawks got thick.

Last edited:
Bulldozed all the fence rows out got rid of the quail...unfortunately
And song birds, butterflies, other pollinators and small mammals and other animals. You helped get rid of our children's future. People can't survive without the other animals.

And song birds, butterflies, other pollinators and small mammals and other animals. You helped get rid of our children's future. People can't survive without the other animals.
In recent years, growth in the fence rows here is bush honeysuckle and multi flora rose bushes, both nonnative invasive species.

I didn't say I did it.....just speaking in general. Probably goes deeper than a few fence rows here and there also

Ants are insects, and we have billions of them.
If that's all quail need is small insects they should be thriving in this part of the state.
A lot of people use to trap for fur when I was in school including me.
The predator problem was somewhat controlled, but the main reason is fire ants, the baby chicks couldn't make it out of the shell before being swarmed by these devils.

J Hoy it sounds as if your putting everybody into one group and making them all at fault. That's not the way it is at all.

We have some country in the heart of stx quail country. They require lots of room with the right habitat. That habitat is not always considered the most effective for cattle but they can be done together. In fact bird country need a healthy amount of cattle to keep it from getting overgrown. Even if you do it all right, and maybe even a little wrong, it's in mother nature's hands. Timely rain fall directly effects the population.

I'm not up on waterfowl but I know one of the most prolific waterfowl areas in Texas is now under cement. I would imagine that would have some effect.

J Hoy it sounds as if your putting everybody into one group and making them all at fault. That's not the way it is at all.
We are all in the same group. It is called the human species. We humans are overpopulating the earth and either poisoning or destroying wildlife habitat at an alarming rate. However, if all the other animals go extinct, so will humans. What is the point of people having children, if we are not going to leave them a livable planet?

I am pretty sure we are all at fault, but maybe you don't use plastics, gas, oil, or coal, eat anything sprayed with pesticides, kill animals just because you don't like having them on "your" land, kill native plants to put in something you want where they live or do anything else to disrupt nature in any way. If that is the case, I apologize to you. You are obviously not like the rest of us and I thank you for that.

So, how is the setter doing now that it has a home? Might have a born natural if you have any birds to take it hunting on. We still have quite a decent population of grouse in wi. I love my setters, any pictures?

So, how is the setter doing now that it has a home? Might have a born natural if you have any birds to take it hunting on. We still have quite a decent population of grouse in wi. I love my setters, any pictures?
Hey !!! I am glad you replied to this post !!! I think you may be just the person that can tell me if my pup is or isn't a setter.

I am not very good at posting pictures but am going to give it a try. It might be a day or so before i do. Real busy right now.

Hope you check back latter.

We are all in the same group. It is called the human species. We humans are overpopulating the earth and either poisoning or destroying wildlife habitat at an alarming rate. However, if all the other animals go extinct, so will humans. What is the point of people having children, if we are not going to leave them a livable planet?

I am pretty sure we are all at fault, but maybe you don't use plastics, gas, oil, or coal, eat anything sprayed with pesticides, kill animals just because you don't like having them on "your" land, kill native plants to put in something you want where they live or do anything else to disrupt nature in any way. If that is the case, I apologize to you. You are obviously not like the rest of us and I thank you for that.
Nope your wrong. I am exactly like the rest of the 7.8 billion people here on earth. Including you.

We might not all speak the same language, be the same color, same sex etc... but basically the same.

Your not offending me. I like am sure like billions of others agree with alot of what you are saying.

And your not just pretty sure in your statement that we are all at fault including your self. Your 100 % right. And since you your self admits that includes you.

I am not being sarcastic or disrespectful by asking you this. How are you including yourself going to get 7.8 billion people to do whatever it would take to change things in order to stop the destruction of the planet's echo system ?

Your not the only person on earth that has the attitude of being mad at the world sort of speak.

My opinion for what little its worth. The world will heal it's self through things like drought, famine, disease etc...., This chunk of rock and dirt we call earth has been around for billions of years. There has been numerous species of animals that has went extinct already.

There is a good possibility with the technology we have now. Earth could get destroyed itself.

A good friend from church wanted to take his old dog pheasant hunting on what he thought might well be her last hunt. I told him to bring her out. He made a good shot on the only bird we put up. The dog and him were both pretty happy.

View attachment 10785
👍😊 Hopefully that won't be their last hunt together. He looks like he had a good hunt. What kind of dog is that ?

The dog is a German Shorthair. He said she just laid around the house for 3 days after our little walk. Old city dog who doesn't get much exercise and she is 11 or 12. Same walk and my Border Collies would just be getting warmed up.

I was drilling rye in corn stalks yesterday and flushed a little covey of Bob whites. First quail I've seen all year.

Latest posts