Q on lice spray.

Help Support CattleToday:

Carnivore

Reaction score
Lice have been bad this winter here in the Pacific Northwest, and I have been forced to spray the cattle a couple of times. got a question. Does the spray permeate the cow, killing the lice because of blood stream contamination, or does the lice spray itself kill the lice?

The lice spray will kill the lice directly.
We ran into the same problem a few years ago and had to treat everything. We now treat with a pour on twice a year.
There was a good listing debate on the pour on's and injectables. I believe it was "no more pour on" title.
Very informative.

Carnivore":1i84jkgf said:
Lice have been bad this winter here in the Pacific Northwest, and I have been forced to spray the cattle a couple of times. got a question. Does the spray permeate the cow, killing the lice because of blood stream contamination, or does the lice spray itself kill the lice?

Seems like I recall that with externally applied insecticides, some of the insecticide is absorbed into the skin and a portion of it remains on the hide/hair. With sucking lice, they ingest the toxin through the blood of the animal which kills the lice.

In general, insecticides attack the nervous system of lice, thus killing them. I'm no expert, this is just what I recall reading at some point.

Latest posts