PVC Pipe Gate for Hi Tensile Strand?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am planning to try putting a 10' long pipe (with slot sawed into top end to hold the wire) over a tee post to make a temporary walk under gate.

Has this worked well for you?
and any tips?

Stocker Steve":2qadg527 said:
I am planning to try putting a 10' long pipe (with slot sawed into top end to hold the wire) over a tee post to make a temporary walk under gate.

Has this worked well for you?
and any tips?

I use this technique every day. The PVC gate has been trouble free for me and my herd. IMO 10 ft is too tall, my pvc pipe is roughly 8 feet long" but then again my animals are mostly frame 4 and under. I also have a small board with a V cut in one end. When the fence is hot I use the board with the V as an extension and lift the wire in place with it. I like the ability to shift the location of the "gate" as it helps to reduce the number of paths that develop with continued use in a single location. I did have a person that I assist with rotational grazing state that his animals would not go under the wire. I had him to put the wire on the ground and cover it with hay. Within just a few days he said the animals caught on that he was giving them access to new grazing and he was able to revert to using the over head method and to my awareness the problem was resolved. Here is an older pic of my gate
IMG00252-20100520-1747.jpg

Great photo. Is that a 2" dia. pipe?

Why don't you lift the wire with the 8' post rather than the board?

Do the cattle ever knock the 8' post down, or do you only leave it up for moves?

Stocker Steve
That is a 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe with a V cut in the top. On the "gate" in the pic I can reach and place the wire in the V by hand unless it is hot. If I left the power on I use the small stick to lift the wire to keep from getting shocked. The reason that I do not lift the wire with the PVC pipe is because it is placed over the permanent line post of the fence. Due to lack of slack the single partition wire cannot be raised high enough to go over the post with the wire in place. Placing the PVC over the line post supports the PVC pipe and prevents the cattle from knocking the "gate" over. I do leave the "gate" up as that is how the cattle access water.

Got it.
Plan to add a second spring (one on each end) to a single strand and try this on some wooded fenced out areas, that I will use for winter shelter. No $ for barns and we calve on grass.
Thanks for all the details.

we do the same thing, but I must confess to stealing the idea from Agmantoo's thread on homesteading today. if the fence is pretty long. you probably don't need the springs.