Putting up hay a century ago

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron":2a7zgngr said:
greybeard":2a7zgngr said:
We have all that stuff from my grandfather's except the tedder thingie. I have used both the rake and sickle mower, but not behind a team--behind a 8n. It's a chore for a young skinny guy like I was to raise both the rake tines and to bring the sickle bar up from horizontal to vertical. That stuff is just yard ornaments now tho.

Who needs horses when ya got a girl like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIVAlV8YVF0

Now there is a woman worth getting hitched too.

Who needs a baler, when you have a women like that?!?!?!

I have a big scar on the back of my head from sitting in the chair of a dump rake. Note the seat doesn't have a back and I fell over backwards onto the teeth and busted my head wide open. Never seen the tedder but the have seen the mower.

I rode this very mower when I was about 13-14, behind the first n series tractor we had.

You used the long lever plus a foot pedal to raise the sickle bar. Another shorter lever (IIRC) engaged the cutter. I don't remember if it was this mower or the rake, but when ya made a turn, the wheel on the short side of the turn made a funny 'clack-clack-clack-clack" till you got straightened back up again.

greybeard":19lmwc2g said:
I rode this very mower when I was about 13-14, behind the first n series tractor we had.

You used the long lever plus a foot pedal to raise the sickle bar. Another shorter lever (IIRC) engaged the cutter. I don't remember if it was this mower or the rake, but when ya made a turn, the wheel on the short side of the turn made a funny 'clack-clack-clack-clack" till you got straightened back up again.
I would be it was the mower. Most ground drive deals have a ratchet type of thing that allows one wheel to slow down/stop while the other continues on to make circles/turns. Since the cutter is ground driven and the rake isn't, that's what makes me think the mower. My old manure spreader and side delivery rake do the same thing.

Still have Grandad's mower(5'),his hay" kicker" which I can'y describe but they have a video on YouTube,and his dump rake.Someday,I want to get them painted original and park in front of the house.Never did get to see any of it work.We had tractors,a mower,side delivery rake and a square baler when I came along.

Latest posts