Putting up hay a century ago

Help Support CattleToday:

I've ran a horse drawn sickle mower. Glad it was just for fun. They had one piece of equipment on there I'd never seen before. Seemed to preform the same job as a hay tedder.

Wow. That's amazing! Looks like the kids were having fun. Bet people where excited when bales were invented! Really cool video. :)

Bigfoot":3idslm7x said:
I've ran a horse drawn sickle mower. Glad it was just for fun. They had one piece of equipment on there I'd never seen before. Seemed to preform the same job as a hay tedder.

I'd never seen a rake like that one either. We still have my granddad's sickle mower and I remember him using it when I was a kid.

Seen those rakes. Dozens of them in fence rows around here. None were put on blocks, so one side of the wheel is trash. They'd actually be handy for a lot of things. Shame they went to pot.

I still have our cycle mower, rake and a row binder , the last time we used the mower and rake was 1972 . I also have a 2 row mule pulled roller and a one row planter,

That's exactly how Dad put up hay 60 years ago for a herd of 25 dairy cows. He was so happy when tractors and wire-tie square balers came along. That's a small dump rake. Majority around here are 16-20' and they had monsters out West - 30' up to 70'. There was still one guy (in his 40's) in central Manitoba a few years back that put up hay that exact same way. He had lots of extra mowers and rakes for parts.

slick4591":1pklyhg5 said:
Bigfoot":1pklyhg5 said:

I'd never seen a rake like that one either. We still have my granddad's sickle mower and I remember him using it when I was a kid.
sulky rake photos.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... -fh_lsonsw

slick4591":1esiziuu said:
Bigfoot":1esiziuu said:

I don;t know the proper name but we always called them "dump rakes".

Bigfoot":n6p25csy said:
Seen those rakes. Dozens of them in fence rows around here. None were put on blocks, so one side of the wheel is trash. They'd actually be handy for a lot of things. Shame they went to pot.

I typed that wrong. I was speaking of the tedder, not the rake. Still see those rakes used as yard art. Glad I ran across the video and figured some would get a kick out of it. Probably brings back some bad memories for a few of our more mature members. :lol:

I had thought tedders were a fairly recent (last 20 years or so) deal. Apparantly they'v been around a long time.

The steel toothed riding dump rake was introduced in 1860 And that decade also saw the invention of the hay tedder.
I googled for this information cause I ain't that smart to know off the top of my head. :compute:

Hard work no doubt. But they sure done a good job. And the grass looked as thick as the hair on a dogs back. And that's as good as those kids would have. Great video slick. Thanks.

There are still a handful of guys around our Wyoming country that use beaver slides. Hard work.

Off topic from putting up hay:
I remember many years ago listening to a very old timer complaining about how lazy his neighbor was back in the day.
How lazy was he?
He would put a board to stand on top of his drag and make the horses pull him and the drag rather than walking off to
the side the way it was suppose to be done when working with horses according to that old timer.

We have all that stuff from my grandfather's except the tedder thingie. I have used both the rake and sickle mower, but not behind a team--behind a 8n. It's a chore for a young skinny guy like I was to raise both the rake tines and to bring the sickle bar up from horizontal to vertical. That stuff is just yard ornaments now tho.

Who needs horses when ya got a girl like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIVAlV8YVF0

greybeard":2jdqs3bb said:
We have all that stuff from my grandfather's except the tedder thingie. I have used both the rake and sickle mower, but not behind a team--behind a 8n. It's a chore for a young skinny guy like I was to raise both the rake tines and to bring the sickle bar up from horizontal to vertical. That stuff is just yard ornaments now tho.

Now there is a woman worth getting hitched too.

Aaron":1wi34klc said:
greybeard":1wi34klc said:

Now there is a woman worth getting hitched too.
But be afraid, VERY afraid. Wouldn;t want to PO her

Latest posts