Putting together hay rings

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I always buy the cheap ones. Some day I'm gonna sit my sachel down and buy some of those expensive ones with a cradle in them. Anyway, the cheap ones at the feed store always fail where they are bolted together. They usually waller apart where the bolt goes thru. I think I'm being smart, and go ahead and put a bigger washer on them when I buy them. They still go ahead and fail. This fall, when I bought a couple new ones, I went ahead and put more effort in the job of assembly. I cut some inch and half by 3/16 flatstock, and bored a hole in it. I put a picece on each side, and tighten up a grade 8 bolt on it with a lock nut as tight as I can get it. They seem to be holding up. The reason I thought to post this today is I've been fooling with one not put together my other way since I got out of church.

metal is so high, I can't build one for what I can buy them for.

If you'll go ahead and assemble them then take a few pieces of scrap flat stock and tack weld this to each joint they will rust before they come apart. This has worked well for me for years now.

Jogeephus":88f8ehsl said:
If you'll go ahead and assemble them then take a few pieces of scrap flat stock and tack weld this to each joint they will rust before they come apart. This has worked well for me for years now.
That's how I do them

Latest posts