Putting the Uterus back in...

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
We had a cow about a yr or so ago that had a still born birth, with the uterus hanging out/exposed. We use to always lube with vege oil and stuff it back in. Not an easy chore. A local vet had told me about using sugar to help pushing uterus back in. Sugar helps shrink the uterus. On this last cow, we used sugar and it definetly makes it easier. Not much cleaner, but it was easier. We sowed her up.
She now has a calf .
We got her in the shute, washed with antisepic, coated with vegi oil then sugar. put the glove on with antiseptic pills in hand and started the insertion. After insertion and the back wash, sowed her up to hold the uterus in. Stitches dissolve overtime. Anyways it worked good, not sure if anyone knew about that trick or not

You are a much better man than me if you can wrestle a uterus back in with the cow standing up in a chute.

saltbranch":169r55rf said:
We had a cow about a yr or so ago that had a still born birth, with the uterus hanging out/exposed. We use to always lube with vege oil and stuff it back in. Not an easy chore. A local vet had told me about using sugar to help pushing uterus back in. Sugar helps shrink the uterus. On this last cow, we used sugar and it definetly makes it easier. Not much cleaner, but it was easier. We sowed her up.
She now has a calf .
We got her in the shute, washed with antisepic, coated with vegi oil then sugar. put the glove on with antiseptic pills in hand and started the insertion. After insertion and the back wash, sowed her up to hold the uterus in. Stitches dissolve overtime. Anyways it worked good, not sure if anyone knew about that trick or not
why hasn't this cow been culled??

saltbranch":2oq4dws4 said:
We used white sugar cuz thats we had at hand. Good to know brown sugar is better.

Sugar is the last thing you need,,very OLD OLD school and a bacteria infection waiting to happen.........Dose it with tetracycline solution and block if you can, most of you do not have that available though. It is like threading a needle when you put it back in; and yes we have done it a few times (dairy you see everything ). The last one ( feb 14 2009) was with her heifer walking around all cleaned off and mom laid down in a very bad spot.

AC that is where your size and muscles come into perspective, hubby put it back once we finally got her standing (no chute) and she raised her calf and another.

After you have managed to put the uterus back in, hit her hard hard hard with some AB's and continue for a week or 2 minimum. When she finally lays down keep an eye on her to make sure she can get up easily.

A uterine prolapse is a fluke usually do to circumstance and she should be fine after that.. :) BTW so will her calves it is usually not heritable.... :tiphat:

AC, she was an older cow and the market price at the time, we chose to keep her.. It was worth the gamble to see if she had another calf for us. Which she has, the calf will bring more than she would any day.

hillsdown":37d1frk3 said:
saltbranch":37d1frk3 said:
We used white sugar cuz thats we had at hand. Good to know brown sugar is better.

Sugar is the last thing you need,,very OLD OLD school and a bacteria infection waiting to happen.........
Might be old school but it works and makes things a lot simpler. Our old vet used to use one of the big glass coke bottles to help involute it back into shape. A couple of boluses and they were good to go to the sale barn. He didn;t use the coke bottle if she was a keeper.

Maybe if she is a piece of crap and you don't mind her dying in a couple of months. The sugar is a breeding ground for bacteria Dun, and you should know that. It would be different if you were flushing with dextrose as most comes right back out but a uterine prolapse coated in sugar when you put it back in is just not the best solution..Maybe I am too modern ,but it has been proven ..
No matter how much you hit them with the infection starts from second one..

We use a sterilized bottle as well, but sugar NO !!!!!

I talked to a cattleman who would give an epidural shot in the tail to aid in putting the uterus back in. He had been taught by a vet. I fought to put one in with two other men without success. The vet arrived, gave her an epidural,we rolled her from her side to her back and he easily put it back in.

Angus Cowman":2i9mjknv said:
saltbranch":2i9mjknv said:
She now has a calf .
why hasn't this cow been culled??

That is exactly what I was thinking. Sounds as though she has become cost prohibitive.

ga. prime":23d2z8pl said:
Use a 1 liter whiskey bottle. Preferrably George Dickle black label.
After drinking that, who cares if the uterus is back in or not?

Fred":2lz5bko3 said:
I talked to a cattleman who would give an epidural shot in the tail to aid in putting the uterus back in. He had been taught by a vet. I fought to put one in with two other men without success. The vet arrived, gave her an epidural,we rolled her from her side to her back and he easily put it back in.

I've given the epidural but didn't put them on their back...put her more on her stomach and pulled the back legs out the back as far as possible...that way you're pushing "downhill".

Latest posts