Putting in platform scale

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
So I am gonna put in a platform scale this spring. I am putting it in an alley before the headgate with a concrete floor. I know a lot of you guys use the B and B scales and that is probably what I'm going with. My question is do you have to buy one of these 500 dollar aluminum platforms? I was thinking I could just get a piece of heavy gauge steel and put a rubber mat on top. Also if this is possible what thickness and should it have square tube welded on the edges so it doesnt bend.

I used 1/8" checkered plate bent into the shape of the platform that they sale. I had it galvanized. I welded on threaded plates and bolted the load cells to the corners. These sit on treated 4 x 6 pieces of lumber buried to where the top is just above ground level. The pan has holes in it to let manure fall through. It was still to slick so I welded some 3/4" bars on it for footing cleats. I got my components from A & A scale.

One reason I did this so I could have my platform cut to the exact length I wanted it.

Latest posts