putting fish in a pond

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to to get fish to survive that you buy in a pond? How many to put in there, what kind, etc.?

Gail

What kind of fish are you talking about? Coy or catfish or what? I have a trough that I used to keep fish in to clean it. I had the same ones for several years before I killed them cleaning the tank. I just made sure that they were acclimated by putting the bag they were in in the water for a few hours so that the temp in the bag or container was about the same as the temp in the tank. It all depends on what you want, I guess.

If the weather and water aren;t extremely warm or cold, the simple conditioning of the fish follwing the directions that the hatcherys give when you buy fish, you shouldn;t lose more then a copule per 100. I had to break ice to put some in one pond and out of 25 we lost 3. The idiots were frozen in the ice. The other ponds were fairly clear and didn;t lose any in them. If they all die or most of them do, get in touch with the hatchery and they'll usually make it good in either dollars or fish.

dun":1v4o94r8 said:
If the weather and water aren;t extremely warm or cold, the simple conditioning of the fish follwing the directions that the hatcherys give when you buy fish, you shouldn;t lose more then a copule per 100. I had to break ice to put some in one pond and out of 25 we lost 3. The idiots were frozen in the ice. The other ponds were fairly clear and didn;t lose any in them. If they all die or most of them do, get in touch with the hatchery and they'll usually make it good in either dollars or fish.

How many is a good amount to put in? What kind are there? One year we got some from hte locval MFA, but I think we got too many and they all died, can't even remember what they were now.

Do you have to always feed them special fish food?

Gail

Gail, (this is what I have done successfully) you need to contact a local fish grower and have him deliver the fish. He'll test the water by getting a bag or bucket of it and let the fish swim in it awhile with no adverse effects before dumping the lot into the pond. Also, he'll answer any and all questions you may have about how to have a bountiful pond and what kinds and how many of whatever species and whether or not and how much to feed, etc. . It's not that expensive for a small or moderate size pond.

Lammie":ou12wh0k said:
What kind of fish are you talking about? Coy or catfish or what? I have a trough that I used to keep fish in to clean it. I had the same ones for several years before I killed them cleaning the tank. I just made sure that they were acclimated by putting the bag they were in in the water for a few hours so that the temp in the bag or container was about the same as the temp in the tank. It all depends on what you want, I guess.
\

A cattle trough?! and the coons didnt get them?

GMN":1w2ye8of said:
How many is a good amount to put in? What kind are there? One year we got some from hte locval MFA, but I think we got too many and they all died, can't even remember what they were now.

Do you have to always feed them special fish food?

Gail

The kind and number depends on what you want to do with them. If you don;t mind feeding them and have a way to remove a lot of them as they get bigger, channel cats work well. Bluegill without an alfa predator in the ponds will over populate and get stunted. White crappie reporduce too well and grow fast enough that they generally out grow the predator fish and will end up stunted. We usually stock a couple of dozen channel cats a half dozen bass and 50 or so bluegill. Our ponds are all 1/2 acre or less. For a bigger pond just add multiples. Those are the numbers that work for us, but depth, clarity and feed resources within the pond all have affects. Conservation has some good publications on fish in ponds. Last week we added black crappie to a couple of ponds, kind of an intermediate predator.

CattleHand":2o89grnu said:
Lammie":2o89grnu said:
\

Don't have much of an issue with coons here for some reason. More like skunks and possums. The only think that killed them was me.

CattleHand":35jhrl43 said:
Lammie":35jhrl43 said:
\

I used to stick 3-4 inch bluegill in the 150 gallon stock tanks. They would disappear after a couple of days. One day happened by a tank early in the morning and saw coons perched on the sides fishing.

GMN":36v4l91y said:
Does anyone know how to to get fish to survive that you buy in a pond? How many to put in there, what kind, etc.?

Gail

GMN go to pondboss.com. I have been to a couple of this guy's simanars and he also has been out to our place a couple times. He is very knowledgable on building and stocking ponds.

Cal

Can we have some more info: location, climate, local fish, pond size(depth and surface area) and porpose of the fish, as they will have a significant bearing on the type and number of fish to suggest. Be cautious of introducing different species.

Gail, where you live I'd think channel cat, bass, crappie and hybrid bluegills should work. I'd call Dunn's Fish Farm. They're located in Arkansas but I believe they have a website. They should be able to advise you. Probably a good time to stock also.

No bluegill bream. They will come naturally, but if you stock them, they will take over.