Putting bulls with your cows around the fixed time AI?

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
We use the 7 day fixed time co-synch with a cidr protocol. Several folks (our AI tech, our vet, etc.) have suggested we put the cows in with the bulls 48 hours before our AI session and pull them 12 hours prior to the actual AI session and then put the cows back in immediately with the bulls post the AI session. We buy high end bulls from great herds for cover bulls (Connealy, Sydenstricker, Sitz, etc.) so i'm not worried about parantage as much as i want to get the calves on the ground 21 days quicker and gain the weight.

We are a cow/calf operator...looking for higher conception rates in AI and just a quicker breed-up. We are being guided that this should increase our firsts round conception by catching the early heats and late heats around the 6 hour window for the AI session.

Does anyone have any experience, thoughts or concerns about doing this? Has anyone else used this strategy to increase your conception rates around your AI program?

Maybe just put the bulls with cows and forget the ai. I do ai some but had 78% first cycle pregnancy rate on the second calvers here last year with just bulls no ai. 98% preg rate in 57 days on that group.

Smell of bulls and bull urine can help cows cycle from what I read a long time ago. Have bulls across a fence or move bulls out of their spot and put cows in immediately to let the pheromones do their thing. Can swap bulls and cows every 2 days to keep it strong.

If it's a commercial operation and calves on the ground is the objective, put the bulls in pm of last A I, never heard of the days before A I stuff, you will have a few cycle a few days after that's when the bulls need to be there, with ciders really doubt 2 days prior would benefit anything, like was said if I'm doing that forget A I lute them turn the bulls in

We always heat detect along with TAI so that we can catch as many as possible. Putting the bulls in should catch it.

hornedfrogbbq":26d2jp69 said:
We use the 7 day fixed time co-synch with a cidr protocol. Several folks (our AI tech, our vet, etc.) have suggested we put the cows in with the bulls 48 hours before our AI session and pull them 12 hours prior to the actual AI session and then put the cows back in immediately with the bulls post the AI session. We buy high end bulls from great herds for cover bulls (Connealy, Sydenstricker, Sitz, etc.) so i'm not worried about parantage as much as i want to get the calves on the ground 21 days quicker and gain the weight.

We are a cow/calf operator...looking for higher conception rates in AI and just a quicker breed-up. We are being guided that this should increase our firsts round conception by catching the early heats and late heats around the 6 hour window for the AI session.

Does anyone have any experience, thoughts or concerns about doing this? Has anyone else used this strategy to increase your conception rates around your AI program?

I would never do that but that's just me. I've never known putting bulls in with what are essentially going to be hot cows as a good thing. Especially when you're not wanting them to breed.

Jake":3k40io7w said:
We always heat detect along with TAI so that we can catch as many as possible. Putting the bulls in should catch it.

This is right. Several timed AI protocols call for heat detection 72-48 hours prior to breeding. If you don't have the time this works just as well.

Latest posts