putting a $ on agression

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Interesting article I ran across. Thought I'd share.

2/21/2006 5:20:55 PM
Wild Thang I think I'll Cull You
by Becky Mills

It is hard to put a price on the aggravation factor of a heifer who throws up her head and takes off right when she gets to the corral—and naturally takes the rest of the heifers with her. Or the idiot steer that makes sorting and loading one truck an all-day affair. Not to mention the certifiable nut case that wrecks your holding pen and/or puts you in the hospital. But lo and behold there are actual dollar figures to show that crazies cost you money.

"We have new data that shows docile calves are worth $62 a head more in the feedlot than aggressive calves," says Darrell Busby, Iowa State animal scientist. Since the late 1980s, Busby and his crew have been disposition scoring the calves in the Tri-County Steer Carcass Futurity when they work and weigh them. In the last four years they have scored more than 8,000 calves using the Beef Improvement Federation disposition score of one (docile) to six (aggressive). Iowa State and the feeders in the futurity also routinely keep complete feedlot and carcass data on the futurity calves, making it possible to link disposition and performance data. Disposition counts in a big way in heifer marketing, too.

The cost of bad apples. University of Georgia animal scientists use the same scoring system on the heifers in the Heifer Evaluation and Reproductive Development (HERD) program. In the fall, producers across the state bring their heifers to one of two central locations. Gain and reproductive tract scores are taken along with disposition scores. The heifers are bred to calving ease bulls and the ones that meet the requirements are sold in two special HERD sales in the spring. Producers can also opt to take their heifers back to their home farms.

"When we sort this data, the heifers with higher disposition scores, on the average, bring a few hundred dollars less," says University of Georgia animal scientist Robert Stewart. "Now that the buyers understand what the disposition scores mean, they treat them like bull buyers do EPDs. They won't even look at the ones with higher scores. Even in the first sale, the fours were not in demand."

There have now been six sales in the south Georgia location and five in north Georgia.

The Northwest Georgia experiment station in Calhoun is headquarters for one of the HERD programs. Station superintendent Phil Worley agrees with Stewart.

"The figures from the HERD sale are dramatic when they are sorted by disposition score and selling price," Worley says. "The heifers with bad disposition scores just don't sell. Consignors learn quickly; and the heifers in the HERD program have tremendously better disposition scores now." So, disposition does affect the bottom line. Granted, handling is a part of the equation, but Kent Andersen, executive vice president of the North American Limousin Foundation (NALF), says disposition can be improved genetically.

NALF has more than 10 years of data to prove it. Actually, their story started 15 years ago with a symposium in Kansas. "We took a real hard look at the breed and its strengths and opportunities for improvement," Andersen says. "We knew there was a lot to improve with temperament."

The association developed a chute scoring system with a score of one (docile) to six (aggressive). Sound familiar? It is the same one adapted by BIF. On the advice of Colorado State animal behavior expert Temple Grandin, the association members scored calves at weaning. Andersen says at that stage the calves are old enough to show their temperament, but probably haven't had enough trips through the chute for a bad experience to influence the score.

"In the first two years, we collected 50,000 records and found the scoring system does a pretty good job of identifying genetic differences," Andersen says. "We also found disposition has a heritability of 0.4."

In 1994, NALF published the first docility EPDs with EPD expressed in units of probability of acceptable behavior. It ranged from a -20 to a +35. "In ten years we have seen a favorable genetic trend," Andersen says. "The average docility EPD is now a +13. We found the sires that produce a disproportionate number of trouble makers don't get used. It is a really neat example of how if you develop a way to measure a trait, you can change it. It is also very possible to improve a trait in a short period of time."

Pick and choose. Hiawassee, Ga., cattle producer Eddie Bradley has disposition on his list of selection criteria. "Life is too short to put up with a bunch of idiots," Bradley says. "The calves won't do good in the feedlot, and if you keep crazy heifers they won't settle as well AI." Bradley breeds his whole herd—both 20 registered cows and 70 commercial cows—AI at least once before he turns in a clean up bull. Neither one of the breeds he uses, Angus or Simmental, has developed an EPD for docility yet, but he uses the advice of the stud service representatives, as well as word of mouth from other producers when he selects sires.

Mississippi State researcher Rhonda Vann says producers are wise to do their homework on sire selection. She has been involved in a regional disposition project for four years.

"We are seeing some sire effects," she says. "Every breed has its issues. But producers can make progress with selection." But what about the mama cow? Where do you draw the line between being protective of her calf and being a lunatic? "We have coyote problems—we need protective cows," Bradley says. "I will tag a calf in the back of the truck and that doesn't bother me. But I don't want one that will get me a month later."

Travis Turnquist, manager of the herd at the Northwest Georgia Experiment Station, agrees. "We tag, tattoo and implant at birth. We want the cows to be good mamas and if we have to work out of the back of the truck, that's fine. But two days later when we move them to another pasture, she better not hunt me down."

The Limousin Association's Andersen agrees there is a happy medium. "We're beginning to suspect that maternal protectiveness and calf vigor are related," he says. Some dairy cattle and their lack of maternal instincts are a prime example, Turnquist says.

The next few years will likely reveal more disposition data to use in your selection process. Mississippi State's Vann and Ron Randel at Texas A&M–Overton are researching the effects of disposition on herd health, specifically immune response from vaccinations. They'll also be doing more work on the link between disposition and carcass quality.

"We hope to eventually identify gene markers for disposition," Vann says.

© 2005 AgWeb.com. All Rights Reserved.

I can validate that they are right about it hurting in the feeding phase.
All it takes is one high head to upset the whole lot and put most of them off feed.
We sort out the high heads and put them in a seperate pen till the rest of the group is bunk broke. Then we put them back in and they can't get the others to fuel their nerves- so they settle down better.
Its a pain.

Howdyjabo":2za9lomi said:
I can validate that they are right about it hurting in the feeding phase.
All it takes is one high head to upset the whole lot and put most of them off feed.
We sort out the high heads and put them in a seperate pen till the rest of the group is bunk broke. Then we put them back in and they can't get the others to fuel their nerves- so they settle down better.
Its a pain.

"High heads" :lol: :lol: Kind of makes me think of groundhogs

Where do you draw the line between being protective of her calf and being a lunatic? "We have coyote problems—we need protective cows," Bradley says. "I will tag a calf in the back of the truck and that doesn't bother me. But I don't want one that will get me a month later."

If a cow can't tell the difference between a coyote and me then I want nothing to do with her. :roll: A cow protective of her calf will kill a stranger or a dog but let me up to do whatever I want in my opinion.

Interesting article though. We don't feed out calves here other than one or two for food but I know from buying heifers one wild one does affect the whole group.

~

We have always culled, using the "O" method:

OPen
Old
Ornery

Had an ornery black heifer that would try to run you down or go over fences if you even stepped into the pasture.

As soon as we could capture her, she was shipped.

She caused quite a mess at the livestock market we shipped her to as well.

All the time, effort, possibility of getting hurt and just sheer frustration aren't worth keeping a crazy. I don't care how nice of an animal she is or how great a calf she can throw.
The same holds true with a bull. In the past I have used an AI bull with a negative docitility score and learned my lesson. She was the best looking calf we had that year and was as crazy as a loon. I'm assuming by now she's made it to someone's plate. :lol:

We have one like that right now....beautiful CharXHerf cow, throws the best looking, heaviest calf each year, but each year she's gotten progressively worse about her calf. First year, no problem, 2nd year watchful, 3rd year tried to take on my car. I figured calf was a day old, good for her protecting him against that silver "predator". Fine a week later. This year, she's trying to take out anything with 2 legs that catches her eye, and her calf is now 2 months old. She's absolutely dangerous and is gone as soon as she can be loaded. I promise I will not be the one loading her either. I'll be the one holding the phone with 911 on speed dial. :D

I would say that this is a great candidate for culling based on temperment. Its not worth being killed or hurt for a great calf each year.

when dealing with brahman influance cattle there's a big differance from high strung and a total idiot. they all pretty much come here a little flighty and settle down as they mature you deal with them enough you can seperate the wheat from the chaff. if i were dealing with a strait hereford or angus and got a loon thats a little diffirent.

Brahman cattle here too, and they are totally different in disposition than the Simmentals, which I can't remember ever getting a wild or ornery one. Simmental, that is. I cull really really deep on Brahman disposition. If they can clear the pen, I sure as heck don't need them in my herd. But I also handle them differently. Brahmans are a lot easier to handle if you don't keep them alone.

This topic made me thing of my neighbors heiffer. He couldn't catch her to ship her off-- she was wiley and would'nt go near the pen if he was around.

So they set up the gate to close by a rope-- they parked an enclosed trailer by the pen that the rope ran to. After a week of feeding then leaving they had a guy sneak into the trailer and wait for her to go in. Which she did. and he pulled the gate shut.
He didn't even get out of the trailer before she tore out the back of the pen. (cost $ 75 to fix). They lined the pen with panels borrowed from neighbors and did it again. It held her this time-- he only had to replace 6 panels($300). They loaded her onto the trailer with a few others going to market. They were standing at the back gate just having shut it-- and here she come again. She tore the gate right off the back of the trailer and it hit one of the guys in the leg and broke it. Cost of gate repair ($125). Cost of broken leg( $970).

The owner got to calculating what the heiffer was worth at the sale- went home and got his gun and shot her dead-- He figured it was time to cut his losses and get out .

Also made me think of what I see here--
Its mostly the red calves that act irrationally.

I had one that would always balk at the gait. Ususally kept two or three calves with her. I sold her thinking it would end. Nope now one has taken her place. Seems it is the babysitter of the herd. Read an article in the AJ about an outfit. Culling for siposition was the first thing they started. Article stated they have done nothing but get better calves and more money.

I just read a short article which puts a value on aggressiveness, but in the opposite direction. From the March '06 issue of SimmTalk magazine.

Post-Partum Behavior Studied

Researchers in Arkansas found that calf survivability is directly related to the aggressiveness of their mothers. In a study of more than 5000 births from 142 sires over 25 years, cows were classified according to their aggressiveness. "Very aggressive" cows had a calf survivability at 93%, while "very attentive" cows were at 86%; "indifferent" cows at 77%; and "apathetic" cows at just 60%. Five breeds were studies with Angus cows being ranked as the most aggressive, followed in order by Charolais, Polled Hereford, Hereford, and Red Poll.

Hmm, all the numbers seem low to me but aside from that I have always thought the mean old hags tend to be better mommas. I guess the challenge is how do we raise a cow that is docile enough to be manageable but aggressive enough to really take care of her calf? Do the two neccessarily have to be competing, or exclusive traits?

CattleGuy":14km91md said:
Hmm, all the numbers seem low to me but aside from that I have always thought the mean old hags tend to be better mommas. I guess the challenge is how do we raise a cow that is docile enough to be manageable but aggressive enough to really take care of her calf? Do the two neccessarily have to be competing, or exclusive traits?

Depends on who/what they are aggresive towards. The majority of ours I can walk up to the calf, if it's sleeping and not up and running around and the cow will come over and watch to see what I'm doing, a couple I won;t even try that with. But they all will chase off dogs, vultures, cats, skunks, coyotes, whatever if they get within a couple of hundred yards of any calf. Doesn;t matter if it's their's or not thaty'll run off the interloper. This time of year I get to wack a lot of varmints that I normally wouldn;t see. If it's far enough away, the cows all stand staring in that direction.
But we don;t have the nasty vultures that some of you have, these are just generic turkey vultures

dun

I have to agree with the Murry gray. I've been useing one
for three years. It's was a nice change not to worry whats
broke now. But it's time to look for another though
maybe you can help me out Springer.Send me a E mail

Latest posts