Put up a wind generator.

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
I installed this a week or two ago to assist in generating power for this water trough. The days get so short at this time of year that a few cloudy days means I'm packing generators to the batteries to top them up. I was under the impression that we lived in an area that had it's fair share of wind, but since I put the thing up I've had to re think that as today was the first time the thing made power. Kinda cool to see it working though. Next summer I may try to set the thing another 10 feet higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EijYwlUwc-4

I wouldn't put too much faith in wind. I thought about it as backup for my system as well but quickly dismissed that. Additional panels and batteries are much more worthwhile investment.

How many head, how much panel capacity and how many batteries is your system. I found the companies recommendations for waterer sizing are lacking for robustness - have to increase everything by 100%.

I live in SW MN and I can see 75 wind turbines from my front patio. From my pasture my daughter and I lost count at 212 on a clear summer afternoon.

Height is the key. There are many days that the winds are calm at ground level and the turbines are going strong 100-200 ft up.

Aaron said:
I wouldn't put too much faith in wind. I thought about it as backup for my system as well but quickly dismissed that. Additional panels and batteries are much more worthwhile investment.

How many head, how much panel capacity and how many batteries is your system. I found the companies recommendations for waterer sizing are lacking for robustness - have to increase everything by 100%.

I bought a system for 250 head. Then I went and put 300+ on it. It required 4 batteries and came with two solar panels that are 250w each. I now have 8 batteries and about 1800w in panels. I didn't have much faith in wind either, so bought a turbine much bigger than I would need if it ran at rated capacity thinking that if I could just get a little extra charging at night or on windy days it would tip the scales in my favour. Time will tell, but I have a hunch it won't be the answer.

Stickney94 said:
I live in SW MN and I can see 75 wind turbines from my front patio. From my pasture my daughter and I lost count at 212 on a clear summer afternoon.

Height is the key. There are many days that the winds are calm at ground level and the turbines are going strong 100-200 ft up.

I'd like to get mine up higher, say 30' or so. 100' is not going to happen lol

Silver said:
I'd like to get mine up higher, say 30' or so. 100' is not going to happen lol

Yeah, didn't mean that! haha. 30' would be very good.

I see many around here in that range 30-50'. Your photo looks like you had some elevation (hills) which can cause some interesting wind effects -- 30' may be more than enough catching wind coming down off a hill.

Silver said:
Aaron said:

I bought a system for 250 head. Then I went and put 300+ on it. It required 4 batteries and came with two solar panels that are 250w each. I now have 8 batteries and about 1800w in panels. I didn't have much faith in wind either, so bought a turbine much bigger than I would need if it ran at rated capacity thinking that if I could just get a little extra charging at night or on windy days it would tip the scales in my favour. Time will tell, but I have a hunch it won't be the answer.

I would add two more batteries and make sure that each battery passes a load test so one isn't drawing down the rest. You have ample panel capacity. But of course it would be good to check those and make sure each panel is actually putting out proper voltage/amps.

If it is like mine those blades have to be a blurr before they are generating any significant power. Those blades are not that efficient, more made so they won't overdo things in extreme wind.

Ken

I just put up an aeromotor..water pumping windill..its 100 yrs old....spins when ya cant even feel wind..why complicate stuff....less than 5 grand in it..maint free for ever

I wouldn't exactly say 'maintenance free' for those aermotors DB. I used to work for a machine shop in San Angelo that made some spare parts for Aermotor. It was a pretty good contract while it lasted..until they improved their own shop capabilities and made them in house. The gearcase can leak and there are a couple of points that need to be greased and oiled every year, as well as changing the gearcase oil.

Aermotor, is a great old company tho.
If you don't have a manual, here's one on line:
http://www.windmill-parts.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/Aermotor_Installation_Instructions.pdf

I do have one thanks...I have done the maint on mine..have had it 20 yrs almost..i use synthetics once a yr...it rarely stops...it pumps so much water it cant be believed..

dieselbeef said:
I do have one thanks...I have done the maint on mine..have had it 20 yrs almost..i use synthetics once a yr...it rarely stops...it pumps so much water it cant be believed..
db, how deep is the well?

Latest posts