• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Put up a tree

Help Support CattleToday:

Wormy Coyote

Active member
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
I was thinking back and trying to remember all of the times I have either been put up a tree or or had to flee the scene to get away from an angry animal(s). Since most of these types of stories have alot of humor involved I cant get enough reading about it. I personally have been put up a tree by a Longhorn bull, a Braford cow, several feral hogs, and a mean old stud horse my Grandpa used to have. I have also been lit on a time or two by angry hens with chicks. If only there had been someone with a camera there for that. Lets hear everybody's escape stories.
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
0
Location
South Georgia
I was marking pulpwood several years ago in the same forest where Hogzilla went on his "rampage of terror". I inadvertently stumbled onto a bunch of piglets that were hiding under a bush. Don't know if I stepped on one or what but they screamed bloody murder and brought ma to their defense. She was pi$$ed and came charging at me. Me, with only a paint gun with blue paint and a bunch of 5 - 6 inch pulpwood trees with limbs 30 foot off the ground. I put one little tree between me and her and we ran in circles around the tree with her constantly snapping her teeth and me constantly spraying blue paint in her face. Finally she gave up the chase, snorted a few times blowing blue paint out her nose then she went on her way. I'll never forget the look on her blue face. It was exhilarating to say the least.
 

I luv herfrds

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
5,770
Reaction score
0
Location
Montana
My first one dealt with a big black baldy cow some friends had. She had a crescent moon on her forehead like the one you see on the "Jaws" movie posters, so they called her Jaws.
We were working their cows and I had been warned about this cow and not to look her in the eye.
I got busy and wasn't paying too much attention, sudden I looked up and straight into the eyes of Jaws. She snorted and came at me, never knew I could clear a 6' fence. I stayed on the other side til she went through.

Another time I was checking cows a couple of years ago. Well my dog was going into the pasture "visiting" the cows and stirring them up. (I didn't know this at the time.)
Found a cow that had calved by a shed in a second corral. Went to see what she had. What I didn't know was my dog had followed me down there. Cow put her head and charged. I had my back to the closed shed, nothing was at hand but my baseball cap.
I started beating the cow across the nose with the cap the whole time screaming my husbands name. My sunglasses went flying, the dog started barking, cow was bawling and I was screaming some pretty unpleasant things at the cow, the dog and the husband.
I was able to get the cow to back off enough to make a run for the wood planked fence. Made it to the top and waited for the hubby.
Dog has been tied up for every calving season since.
 

cfpinz

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2005
Messages
5,939
Reaction score
27
Location
Virginia
The same but different:

My Grandpa had this crotchety ass horse at his place one time that I decided to ride, I was about 10 or 12 at the time. Hopped up on him bareback with no bridle and commenced to kicking him, all he'd do was walk. Grandaddy said he'd help, so he took a switch and smacked the horse in the butt. Horse took off wide open with me and wouldn't stop. I hung on for what seemed like 5 miles and when he finally ran under a cedar tree with a limb 8 or 10 feet off the ground I reached up and grabbed it, just hung there while Grandaddy was laughing.

And then there's the time I hopped on the wife's horse who was so fat the saddle wouldn't stay still. I didn't bother to adjust the stirrups, wife is 5'4" and I'm 6'1", so when the saddle got sideways I couldn't do much with it. Long story short, when I hit the ground one of my boots got stuck in the stirrup and the old nag dragged me wide open a couple hundred yards.

I hate horses.
 

Ryder

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2004
Messages
5,819
Reaction score
1
Location
Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)
Jogeephus":2bidrjec said:
I was marking pulpwood several years ago in the same forest where Hogzilla went on his "rampage of terror". I inadvertently stumbled onto a bunch of piglets that were hiding under a bush. Don't know if I stepped on one or what but they screamed bloody murder and brought ma to their defense. She was pi$$ed and came charging at me. Me, with only a paint gun with blue paint and a bunch of 5 - 6 inch pulpwood trees with limbs 30 foot off the ground. I put one little tree between me and her and we ran in circles around the tree with her constantly snapping her teeth and me constantly spraying blue paint in her face. Finally she gave up the chase, snorted a few times blowing blue paint out her nose then she went on her way. I'll never forget the look on her blue face. It was exhilarating to say the least.
The blue phantom strikes again.
 

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
well i cant climb trees.but ive been put in some pretty tight places by cows.we had a brimmerstein cow once.an we was weaning her calf.an i was in the loading chute.an here comes the big brimmer.so i climbup the chute as fast as i can.knowing that if she runs under me im a gonna.an she thankfully didnt run under me.
 

farm princess

Well-known member
Joined
May 10, 2006
Messages
160
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
this is more of a pet story but the pig was just as fun as if you were caught off guard!!!
I had a pet pig named "Weenie" even though she was as big as her momma! Well she was the runt of the litter and I couldn't bear to let her die too soft hearted but any way, she grew up in the house til she got to big and had to go outside. Well the whole family new her and she knew them. One day my mom and dad stopped in to get a bale move and while they were hooking it up left their truck door open and she decided to start biting the rubber around the door off and when they tried to stop her she just tried to bite them. She just was making sure she had evidence of who was there!! Another time my aunt was cutting fire wood and i told her not to leave anything laying around cause weenie loved to steal things, and she didn't listen so when it was time to gas up the chain saw she couldn't find her gas can, well after looking for several minutes we found it in her "hideout" of stolen things!! it did contain alot too!! and the best one was that she hated any man that wore boots.... my cousin came up one day and said that he could take her and i told him go ahead and try so after a few beers he did and she put him on his a$$ several times and then his brother who is nicked named "bubba" tried to help him and she took him down chair and all!! and one other friend she ran up a gate and wouldn't let him down til I told her it was ok!! loved that dang pig, but she is now gone (everyone except the kids and i were happy) but on a good side she would give the kids "piggy back rides" and loved it!! you just had to know where to sit, cause if you didn't she would "buck" you off and try to bite you, but then again i wouldn't tell the "adults" that would try to ride her!!!!!

;-)
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
Last thing I had a problem with was my big tom turkey. He decided that I was wanting his wimmin, so he attacked me. Now this ole' boy probably weighs 30 pounds and is a cocky rascle. He jumped me from behind and knocked me down before the game of turkey football started. Now whenever he is close, I just go ahead and knock the be nice out of him before he gets time to start.
 
OP
W

Wormy Coyote

Active member
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
farm princess":1gk5irtv said:
this is more of a pet story but the pig was just as fun as if you were caught off guard!!!
I had a pet pig named "Weenie" even though she was as big as her momma! Well she was the runt of the litter and I couldn't bear to let her die too soft hearted but any way, she grew up in the house til she got to big and had to go outside. Well the whole family new her and she knew them. One day my mom and dad stopped in to get a bale move and while they were hooking it up left their truck door open and she decided to start biting the rubber around the door off and when they tried to stop her she just tried to bite them. She just was making sure she had evidence of who was there!! Another time my aunt was cutting fire wood and i told her not to leave anything laying around cause weenie loved to steal things, and she didn't listen so when it was time to gas up the chain saw she couldn't find her gas can, well after looking for several minutes we found it in her "hideout" of stolen things!! it did contain alot too!! and the best one was that she hated any man that wore boots.... my cousin came up one day and said that he could take her and i told him go ahead and try so after a few beers he did and she put him on his a$$ several times and then his brother who is nicked named "bubba" tried to help him and she took him down chair and all!! and one other friend she ran up a gate and wouldn't let him down til I told her it was ok!! loved that dang pig, but she is now gone (everyone except the kids and i were happy) but on a good side she would give the kids "piggy back rides" and loved it!! you just had to know where to sit, cause if you didn't she would "buck" you off and try to bite you, but then again i wouldn't tell the "adults" that would try to ride her!!!!!

;-)

Pigs are such smart critters, thats the best story yet. :banana:
 
OP
W

Wormy Coyote

Active member
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
bigbull338":2d4zmgzn said:
well i cant climb trees.but ive been put in some pretty tight places by cows.we had a brimmerstein cow once.an we was weaning her calf.an i was in the loading chute.an here comes the big brimmer.so i climbup the chute as fast as i can.knowing that if she runs under me im a gonna.an she thankfully didnt run under me.

Brimmerstein is my all-time favorite crossbred cow. I am in the very early stages of raising me as big a set of them as I can. It will take a few years though.
 

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
brimmersteins are very hard to find.unless you know a dairyman that runs brimmer bulls on his holstein cows.
 

Latest posts

Top