Put Down 24 Year Old Pony

Help Support CattleToday:

Victoria

Reaction score
Yesterday was a rough morning here. My husband was leaving for work and found our 24 year old mare in the house yard rolling and thrashing like crazy. I phoned our vet and he confirmed what I knew, colic. No idea how she got it, no change in feed, pasture, friends, but with colic you just never know. I felt awful as she'd been out there a few hours and had crawled through a fence to come to the house. It was like she was coming for help but I didn't know because we slept with the windows closed (one of the few nights we did). Tried giving her pain killers and walking her but she was too far gone and had to be put down. Her 25 year old sister is pretty upset.
This mare was full sister to my best cattle pony. She was a great pony and taught a lot of people to ride - including my husband. I showed with her and she always did well. One of my favourite memories with her was when the neighbour's steers broke into our field so I grabbed this pony (halter, lead rope and rode bareback) to go help him. He actually stifled a laugh. At that time she was 21 years old and perhaps a little chubby. His big horse towered over her 13 hands. As the steers started making a run for the woods though the neighbour saw where riding a small horse bareback has its advantages. She surprised his steers when she just tore into the trees got past them and chased them back out. We could fit wherever they could when I was flat on her neck. After that the neighbour admitted she was a good little cow pony. :lol:
I once wrote on here that there weren't many good horses out there but the ones that are good are worth their weight in gold. This was one of those and she will be missed. Thankfully I have her three year old daughter that I will be breaking to ride this summer. Just hope her sister gets over the loss. They have lived together a long time.

I'm very sorry, Victoria. :( That is never an easy situation, but when the animal in question is special, it is heartbreaking.

Sorry for your loss, Vic, it's always tough to lose a freind that has been in the family for a few years let alone many. Lots of memories though :(

Take care,
Alan

Sorry for your loss Vic,I raise horse's myself and have had to put 1 down last year,roughest thing I've had to do.The memories are what keeps a smile on our faces.

Sorry about your lose Victoria, hate losing a good Horse or Dog. and by your post that little horse sounds like a good one. once more sorry for the lose.

Once in awhile God creates a "masterpiece" and my ol' Rat Terrier dog Pepper was just that. She had a stroke and I had to have her put down. Absolutely ripped my heart from my chest. She's buried in a felt lined cherry casket that I built for her. So sorry Victoria for your loss.

Sorry to hear this Victoria. When they've been around that long they're like a member of the family.

Thanks everyone, sometimes you just feel like sharing with someone who will understand. My friends are mostly town people who have never owned a horse in their lives.

Thats exactly what happened to my 25 year old Arabian that I owned since he was a baby. Never had colic in his life until that black day. That was 11 years ago and I remain horseless today.... not that I haven't tried to replace him. Just cant find another good one... spent a lot of money in the attempt.

My heart goes out to you. From someone who knows.

bward, I know what you mean, it's hard finding a good horse, especially one that can work cattle. This one was good but she still wasn't as good as her sister. That pony had nerves of steal and there wasn't a cow or bull who wouldn't back down from her. I keep looking for one that is as good as she was but I don't think I'll ever find another one like her. I do have hopes for this three year old but she has some big shoes to fill. Good luck on your search.

Latest posts