Put calf down this morning

Help Support CattleToday:

mhill

Reaction score
Had an early X mas present from one of my older cows yesterday. Problem was the calf was born with it's hind legs knuckled under, have had others in the past with front legs knuckled under but never rear. Calf had difficult time standing and every time I got it up to nurse, momma would lick him and he would fall over......So after trying this for over 2 hours I finally tubed him with a quart of colostrum to get him throught the night. Was ok this am, but still had trouble standing when he was licked, bumped, etc. He had a very little sucking reflex, so I tried to tube him some milk replacer as I couldn't milk the mother to fill a bottle. Long story short. I decided to end his suffering. Lovely xmas present. Mother cow always raised a nice calf, so now I am torn what to do with her.

cash her in, no ticket (live viable calf) no meal here, culls are high enough and feed is higher, fill her space with something productive. It sucks to lose calves, had a nice 1st calf heifer slip twins about 10 days early last week, she'll be freezer beef by April!

I know you did what you felt was right but i think i woulda tried a little longer. Just me tho

I would have tried longer too . . . . and it most likely would have been the wrong thing to do. Never been able to get them back from the brink like that and end up wasting time and money with almost certainty of the same result.

Couldn't say how long I would have worked with calf. Every situation is different. Since it's gone, I agree with Robert.

fitz

mhill":12g1nkev said:
Mother cow always raised a nice calf, so now I am torn what to do with her.

Since you said an older cow, I'm thinking you've had her for several years. Put the pencil to paper and figure out how much she has made for you over the years. Factor in her age and how much she is likely to make over the rest of her productive life. Decide what to do from there.

Latest posts