Purpose of Extension Office?

Help Support CattleToday:

I feel like such a dummy on here. Nice to be able to offer advice on something I know about.
I don't have anything to say about the extension office, other than not much luck with mine.
I do have a lot of experience with load cells, if your going to build your own scale be careful with the mounting, weight distribution, and movement. Load cells work great and are pretty rugged, you can jump up and down on them no problems. If weight is not distributed evenly across them (4 typically) then the reading will be inaccurate. Side loading will kill them in a heartbeat. Make sure all the force (weight) is directed straight down, If you apply force at an angle to the cell it's toast.
The above kit looks like a decent setup for the price. Each cells capacity adds to the total capacity of the scale. I.E if you have (4) 250 lb cells the total weight capacity of the scale is 1000 lbs.

ThanX for the advice on the side loading of the load cells. I will make sure to build the top plate in such a way it cannot move sideways only up and down.

Isomade":1yhz42f6 said:
My extension agent thinks his purpose is to just exist, while offering no help or even entering his office for the most part. I have weeds more useful than him.

Our extension agent was a farmer/rancher until he went broke. Then he became the extension agent and is giving us advice. What is wrong with that picture?

Bonsman":yp90blm3 said:
Isomade":yp90blm3 said:
My extension agent thinks his purpose is to just exist, while offering no help or even entering his office for the most part. I have weeds more useful than him.

Our extension agent was a farmer/rancher until he went broke. Then he became the extension agent and is giving us advice. What is wrong with that picture?
Sounds like those Okie's are about like the Ags down here. They live in a subdivision, own no livestock, they occupy an office, they join the chamber and the Lions club and nobody knows what they do the rest of the time. IF you ever get one out in the country on your place he's as lost as a goose. Now they might not all be that way.... just the ones I've known.

Hearing all these nighmares make me all the more happy that our NRCS and extension people actaully work for us and know what they're doing

I live in North Mississippi and we have been lucky to have good agents, both male and female for the last 25 or so years. Some are good at livestock, some good with crops, some good with gardens etc. But all know who to contact about issues they are not good at. Some other counties are not so lucky however. But when you have a good one, male or female, they can and do offer good info.

Phil in Tupelo

Bonsman":1mp9mv19 said:
Isomade":1mp9mv19 said:

Depends on why he went broke.

backhoeboogie":3jcmfpei said:
I called mine for some pasture advice a few years back. He came out instead of answering questions on the phone. That was impressive. Problem was once he got there he tried to talk me in to some sort of welfare programs with government assistance. Instead of advising me he wanted to get professionals. I was done at that point. Cleared what I wanted to clear and took CB's advice on discing in coastal. It worked.
Hi. Will you tell me/us how you disc in the coastal and how it worked for you. Thanks in advance.

Our extension service and NRCS office is really good. I wouldn't suggest calling down there for information since they get hundreds of wasteful calls. Whenever I need some information I go to the office in person. They will go out of their way on their time to visit with you on site if its something they need to actually look at. If they cannot help they serve as a liason between the university and the landowner. I've had questions that were over their head and was visited in person by a professor on two occassions. The good thing about them meeting you in person they see what you are doing and while they may not be able to help with a specific thing they may be able to offer help in ways that you did not know to ask. I'm pleased with ours. I'd suggest getting them to come out to your place if at all possible.

3legdonkey":2o42lyrx said:
Sounds great! There is nothing better than a positive use of your tax money!

Yes, it does happen occasionally, but the incentives are not there for performance. Most gov't workers get paid the same regardless. Doing a good job is optional.

None of us want to pay for advice - we want a government worker to give it to us for free. I don't know any government program that costs money, which is why I can't figure out why gov't is so far in debt.

I am sorry that some of you have had a bad experience with a county Extension agent. For a little over 29 years, I worked as a county agent in Texas. During that time, I probably disappointed some home owners or backyard gardening enthusiasts because landscape and ornamental horticulture was an area that I could not readily give off the cuff recommendations without doing some research. My training was livestock prodction. I was responsible for providing educational programs in beef, dairy, forages, fruit and vegetable production (both commercial and home gardens), pesticide applicator traing, wildlife management, youth development through the 4-H program and yes landscape and ornamental horticulture. Not trying to excuse poor service , just a lot of areas to cover.

Most county agents have advisory committees made up of local producers who influence or direct what educational programs are developed in that county. I encourage you to find out who is serving on that committee and share your ideas of educational needs. Better yet, talk to your agent about how you can be a volunteer on that committee.

One thing that has been overlooked is that in order for a county to have DHIA there has to be an extension office.

Ryder":afk9v7yo said:
pdfangus":afk9v7yo said:
EXTENSION IS set up different in every state.
agents are different in every county.
we have a lot of non ag agents now.
have not had an ag agent in almost two years. no only in our county But in a five county area.
If they are not ag, what are they? Home economics?

yes....and all sorts of urban stuff.
I have a friend who works for extension and her job is to set up a mentor program for kids who need role models and guidance from civilized people. Yall keep telling me I am crazy when I say our society is broken down....but guvment subsistence forces people to accept this behavior as normal. no family except big brother uncle sam.

some you folks need to visit a city a little more often.

I went to a mall last weekend. had not been there in five years at least. when it opened 15 years ago it was the latest greatest upscale shopping experience.

last weekend I thought I was in a third world country....most of the stores were closed and the commerce was in the kiosks in the open area. very few durable goods being sold....lots of jewelry and bling opportunities....cell phones....sports memoribelia....shoes and food....some of the vendors and a few of the customers seemed to speak a little english.

I soon said to myself...."Old man, you best get the he77 out of here fore you get in trouble."

America today is not what It was just 20 years ago. And I live in a conservative southern state.

Also in our state extension requires a masters degree or a committment to obtain one.....
terrible hours working days with farmers and night meetings all the time.

and they don't pay anywhere near commensurate with what they want.....

when they have an opening it takes forever to find a qualified candidate who will take the job. the good young ones soon move on to greener fields.

pdfangus":3l848ph3 said:
Ryder":3l848ph3 said:
pdfangus":3l848ph3 said:
[/quote Yall keep telling me I am crazy when I say our society is broken down....but guvment subsistence forces people to accept this behavior as normal. no family except big brother uncle sam.
I'm sure not telling you that you are crazy.
I'm still a young man :lol: :bs: but I am old enough to have seen a dramatic change in our country.
I could say where I think the door opened for all this break down, but a bunch of people would get mad at me and the post would be pulled because I am not politically correct.

I'm afraid the only hope is for things to hit rock bottom-and maybe then it can be rebuilt. Goverment is sure not going to fix it.

there purpose is make farmers jump thru hoops, fill out a novel of paperwork, and maybe help you along the way..

pdfangus":ckc28cgb said:
Also in our state extension requires a masters degree or a committment to obtain one.....

when they have an opening it takes forever to find a qualified candidate who will take the job. the good young ones soon move on to greener fields.

I am uncertain if Mississippi requires MBA, but if agent is good at his/her job then they put in many hours after 5 pm. If they are not good they just sit in the office from 8 to 5.
Phil in Tupelo

pdfangus":3j8mrrw0 said:

I agree but in this area we have one excellent young lady as an ag agent. The 2 male ones I will not comment on. Worse thing is she is overworked and tries way too hard.

I totally agree with the above post about our county agent's office. If they don't know the answer to your question, they will find out for you, most of the time they know it. They have been very helpful and like he states, great information on the MSU website. Sounds like we are very fortunate!

Latest posts