Purina Wind & Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Dale L

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone who uses this product might have a label from the bag showing the mineral levels. I couldn't find the labels on their website. Here is what we are currently using.

Calcium (Ca) (Min.) 11.5%
Calcium (Ca) (Max.) 12.5%
Phosphorus (P) (Min.) 10.0%
Salt (NaCl) (Min.) 14.0%
Salt (NaCl) (Max.) 15.0%
Magnesium (Mg) (Min.) 3.0%
Potassium (K) (Min.) 2.0%
Selenium (Se) (Min.) 26 ppm
Cobalt (Co) (Min.) 125 ppm
Copper (Cu) (Min.) 2,500 ppm
Iodine (I) (Min.) 200 ppm
Manganese (Mn) (Min.) 4,000 ppm
Zinc (Zn) (Min.) 5,000 ppm
Vitamin A (Min.) 120,000 IU/lb.
Vitamin D (Min.) 11,000 IU/lb.
Vitamin E (Min.) 200 IU/lb.

I've been using Purina wind and rain all season Availa-4 complete and like it. Here is the ingredients and analysis.

Guaranteed Analysis

MINERAL / VITAMIN LEVEL Calcium (Ca), min........................................... 14.00%
Calcium (Ca), max........................................... 16.00%
Phosphorus (P), min..........................................7.50%
Salt (NaCl), min.............................................. 19.00%
Salt (NaCl), max.............................................. 21.00%
Magnesium (Mg), min.......................................1.00%
Potassium (K), min ............................................1.00%
Zinc (Zn), min..........................................3,168 PPM
Manganese (Mn), min..............................1,760 PPM
Copper (Cu), min .....................................1,100 PPM
Cobalt (Co), min.......................................... 106 PPM
Iodine (I), min.................................................60 PPM
Selenium (Se), min.........................................27 PPM
Vitamin A, min..................................300,000 IU/LB
Vitamin D, min....................................30,000 IU/LB
Vitamin E, min...........................................300 IU/LB

Ingredients

Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Processed Grain By-Products, Vegetable Fat, Mineral Oil, Magnesium Oxide, Iron Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Silica Dioxide, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sodium Selenite.

B&M Farms":1q5jul7s said:
I've been using Purina wind and rain all season Availa-4 complete and like it. Here is the ingredients and analysis.

What I've used for a while now as well. Primarily because ALL of the zinc, managanese, copper and cobalt is in chelated form. Even though the guarantees are not as high as on the OP's mineral they will utilize anywhere from 3 to 10 times as much of the chelated mineral than the oxides and/or sulfates. Reduced phosphorus level (which is still adequate) also helps hold cost down a bit.

TexasBred":3stiliwt said:
B&M Farms":3stiliwt said:

What I've used for a while now as well. Primarily because ALL of the zinc, managanese, copper and cobalt is in chelated form. Even though the guarantees are not as high as on the OP's mineral they will utilize anywhere from 3 to 10 times as much of the chelated mineral than the oxides and/or sulfates. Reduced phosphorus level (which is still adequate) also helps hold cost down a bit.

Exactly. I'm not here to advertise for Purina because I know there are better or just as good products, but I like that it stays in the mineral feeder and my cows intake is adequate. I have had trouble getting them to eat other products.

Thanks a lot for the label info. Gonna dig up a label from one of my bags and compare the ingredient list. I have seen a lot of people on here saying good things about the Purina. Do you use the same thing all year? And if so do you put out any other Mag. blocks or anything when you turn out on pasture?

Dale L":9q3g6rtp said:
Thanks a lot for the label info. Gonna dig up a label from one of my bags and compare the ingredient list. I have seen a lot of people on here saying good things about the Purina. Do you use the same thing all year? And if so do you put out any other Mag. blocks or anything when you turn out on pasture?

I switch to the Wind and Rain High Mag 7 Complete with Availa 4 about mid Feb. and use until summer grasses come on if I have cows on rye grass. If not I stay with the all season.

Dale L":228q7h7p said:
I use it year round, even the IGR. Have never seen a need to go with the hi-mag even in spring.

Latest posts