Purina wind & rain mineral with hornfly control

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

:?: Just wondering if anyone has used the Purina "wind and rain minerals" with horn fly larvacide? Did/does it work? How long before you saw results? weeks, months or the following season? Thanks

We tried it for about 2 months one summer and could not tell a difference. Maybe on a smaller herd it would be more noticable. I would not contract a full load of it though. Try feeding it one pasture and not on another pasture and make note of the difference.

goatlady":2m77u85n said:
:?: Just wondering if anyone has used the Purina "wind and rain minerals" with horn fly larvacide? Did/does it work? How long before you saw results? weeks, months or the following season? Thanks

We don;t feed the Purina brand but a basic ineral with CTC and larvacide. It will make a difference, but it by itself won't accomplish much. Rotational grazing helps to get the advantages of it.

dun

Water control my butt

No such thing. and feed through fly control needs to begin just as winter wraps up and get good titers of the chemical in the blood so first crop of flies has sterile eggs, after the fact is too late, you need a pour on fly control, otherwise its money down the drain

Michelle Pankonien":3sbqmk4f said:
Water control my butt

No such thing. and feed through fly control needs to begin just as winter wraps up and get good titers of the chemical in the blood so first crop of flies has sterile eggs, after the fact is too late, you need a pour on fly control, otherwise its money down the drain

You need to do a little research on how the larvacides work. It's in the manure, has nothing to do with any levels of anything in the blood.

dun

Yep it works. You can not use it just on one pasture and not the others-the flys can fly you know :idea: ? If your neighbor is not using it ,and he is acrossed the fence, you will be in trouble. Like others mentioned above, you need to start in the very early spring and keep it going til fly season is over. I think it does work. WE are in the hot humid south and use another brand of mineral that contains the IGR. We do not use back rubbers, we apply wormers in late June/July and we spray cattle with a pyrethroid when they are worked - that's it. :cboy:

Bill

MrBilly":2olu1zub said:
Yep it works. You can not use it just on one pasture and not the others-the flys can fly you know :idea: ? If your neighbor is not using it ,and he is acrossed the fence, you will be in trouble.

Bill

Yes, I know flies can fly other wise they would be called walks or crawls right? :lol: I was just wondering, out loud, if it worked before we spent money on it since it's so spendy. The closest cattle to us are about a mile away as the crow flies, closer are either horses or sheep. So am more concerned about what is being hatched on our property. They have a dust bag and we've tried durasect in the past, which didn't help more than a day or two. We tried the Rabon blocks but they didn't eat those very well and they don't/didn't contain selenium, which we need. Our fly season isn't as long as many of you have, it's usually only late may - mid Sept.

Thanks, I think we will try it for the rest of this season and see what happens.

We were told (by the Purina rep) that the feed thru would not work well in cases where other livestock that were not on the program were located within 1/2 mile of your cattle. The "other" livestock included horses and sheep.

bwranch":3crv3uwy said:
We were told (by the Purina rep) that the feed thru would not work well in cases where other livestock that were not on the program were located within 1/2 mile of your cattle. The "other" livestock included horses and sheep.

So I suspect that would include my couple hundred goats. :cry: And they don't need cattle mineral. Our feed store guy just tells us it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, not a word about other species......................

Ok, guys I decided to ask an entomologist the life cycle of horn flies (Haematobia irritans). And here is what he said.

Both male and female feed on cattle or occasionally horses.

The female rides closer to the back end of the animal and will fly down to lay eggs usually within 2 minutes of the cow "plopping".

Manure over 30 minutes old and the eggs won't hatch. Didn't ask why.

Adult to adult time span about 10 days.

If the "plop" dries out during the larva stage they die. If pupae, they go into a diapause phase and will also go into this slowed growing phase if the temp gets too cold. This is how they overwinter.

So the question of other species, at least for us, is out, since the pellets produced by goats, sheep and horses would dry out too quickly.

Hope this is helpful for someone else too.

Latest posts