Purina wind and rain

Help Support CattleToday:

I am pretty sure all of the Purina Wind & Rain products are minerals supplements. They have either the bagged product or that lick tub. Purina does make several protein supplements in a lick tub. They are sold under the names "Rangeland" or "Accuration". I have used the Rangeland 30-13 product and others. They will usually eat the first tub too fast, and then slow down and consume at an average of 1/2 pound per day. There are times though, when 40 cows continue to go through 225 pounds in just a few days, for days on end. Those licks cost way too much at that rate.

I recently tried a much cheaper lick carried by Tractor Supply. It was called Producers Pride 24% lick tub. The cows checked it out, walked away, and wouldn't touch it for several days. Then 40 cows ate 200 pounds in just a day. I bought a couple more tubs, hoping they would slow down on it, but so far they're still eating it too fast. Alfalfa rationed out would be cheaper but more labor intensive, I also feel that we would lose way too many leaves feeding it on the ground. With our rotations through multiple large pastures, ring feeders are impracticable. Our new to the area Tractor Supply, also has some range cubes. I had never seen them in this area before, so I bought a bag. I may give them a try, since I could control consumption. We have not had any real rain around here since the end of June, so most of what little grass that is left is pretty much straw. We will bring them in to where we can start feeding soon, and then I can do a better job of balancing for their needs. I sure wish we could have gotten some rain before it turns cold. When we get rain our fall grass growth can save us months of feeding.

I am pretty sure all of the Purina Wind & Rain products are minerals supplements. They have either the bagged product or that lick tub. Purina does make several protein supplements in a lick tub. They are sold under the names "Rangeland" or "Accuration". I have used the Rangeland 30-13 product and others. They will usually eat the first tub too fast, and then slow down and consume at an average of 1/2 pound per day. There are times though, when 40 cows continue to go through 225 pounds in just a few days, for days on end. Those licks cost way too much at that rate.

I recently tried a much cheaper lick carried by Tractor Supply. It was called Producers Pride 24% lick tub. The cows checked it out, walked away, and wouldn't touch it for several days. Then 40 cows ate 200 pounds in just a day. I bought a couple more tubs, hoping they would slow down on it, but so far they're still eating it too fast. Alfalfa rationed out would be cheaper but more labor intensive, I also feel that we would lose way too many leaves feeding it on the ground. With our rotations through multiple large pastures, ring feeders are impracticable. Our new to the area Tractor Supply, also has some range cubes. I had never seen them in this area before, so I bought a bag. I may give them a try, since I could control consumption. We have not had any real rain around here since the end of June, so most of what little grass that is left is pretty much straw. We will bring them in to where we can start feeding soon, and then I can do a better job of balancing for their needs. I sure wish we could have gotten some rain before it turns cold. When we get rain our fall grass growth can save us months of feeding.
If you are anywhere near an ethanol plant there may be a cake manufacturer not far away. TSC cake is going to be way expensive and you will need pallet loads of it.

"Cheaper is more labor intensive" (always) but feeding alfalfa as a supplement doesn't need fed every day. It can be fed every third day, say 10# every third day. They get dry matter and protein out of it, plus other nutrients. Probably more protein to boot.

Katpau, how much did those TSC and Rangeland protein tubs cost you? I live in Coos county.

I have just a few animals so I feed flakes of alfalfa out of livestock water tanks so they eat all the leaves. (Alafala, AKA green gold)

Faster Horses
Yes, we feed alfalfa only every third day, once we have the cattle in where we can feed on cement. The alfalfa I have now is leafy but fragile and when I throw it out on the ground in deep dry grass, it looks like most of the good leaves end up ground into the dirt. I only have enough alfalfa on hand to feed through winter and I don't have room to store more inside, so we are putting out some tubs for now. Mostly because it makes me feel better.

Texas Jersey.
The Rangeland 38-20 tubs are 225 pounds and cost about $167. (38% protein 12% fat) They are suppose to consume .5 to 1 pound per day, but they usually go through more than that here. I recently purchased Producers Pride from TSC. They weigh 200 pounds and are priced at $85. They are 24% protein and only 4% fat. A 1000 pound cow is suppose to eat 1 to 2 pounds per day of this one, so they are actually comparable in price when you figure daily consumption. The Rangeland is perhaps the better product because of the extra fat.

Thanks. And I wonder what is the ton price of alfalfa in Roseburg at the present time ?

I bought a couple of tons to supplement my horses earlier in the summer. Thinking of feeding it to my dairy cows compared to high priced cubes and licks.

I am not sure what prices are now, but it was plenty expensive when I put it in the barn in early August. Alfalfa is always more expensive here than most of the country. They don't grow much in the valley and most of what they do grow is already spoken for. I believe it would be over $300 per ton. Transportation costs make everything more expensive here. Even when grown local, sellers will charge more than in areas where there are more growers. They know if you don't pay them, you will pay to have it shipped in. Besides that, their inputs also cost them more than growers in other locations.

Well, alfalfa was $4oo a ton last summer here in Coos county and that was last year's hay. Klamath county where irrigated alfalfa grows I heard did not even make a crop this year due to continued severe extreme drought. But the bull and some cows were moved off our bottom land pastures. It's pretty strong ground and now an inch of rain has fallen. Some of my heifers were sired by that bull so I couldn't turn them out. I hope the grass will grow now and last them into the winter

Latest posts