Purina wind and rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Grayme

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a small herd here in N.E. Ks. that we have been giving range cubes for protein supplement. I recently bought 2 tubs of Purina wind and rain protein tubs. It's been about 2 weeks now and the cattle don't seem to be eating it. I thought they would fight each other for it. Any ideas?

Mine will readily devour Crystalyx (sp) but it's just slightly cheaper than a king's ransom.

50lbs of Purina Wind and Rain Mineral costs $46 here. Mine eat 1/2LB a day so a sack lasts 50 days which seems rather expensive. But that's mineral not protein lick.

I've been feeding them a few of lbs 20% cubes to help them digest the old dry grass. Those cubes are $26 a sack. Seems rather expensive. How much did these Winds and Rain protein tubs cost in Kansas?

everything seems rather expensive these days

50lbs of Purina Wind and Rain Mineral costs $46 here. Mine eat 1/2LB a day so a sack lasts 50 days which seems rather expensive. But that's mineral not protein lick.

I've been feeding them a few of lbs 20% cubes to help them digest the old dry grass. Those cubes are $26 a sack. Seems rather expensive. How much did these Winds and Rain protein tubs cost in Kansas?

everything seems rather expensive these days
That is extremely expensive for a 20% cube.

I have used Wind and Rain minerals for years. Real handy in the wet climate on the coast. Depending on which blend it is $30 +/-. I have never heard of a Wind and Rain protein tub.

" That is extremely expensive for a 20% cube."
This is Oregon, the 5th most expensive state in the US to live.

"just bought 7000 lbs. 20% range nuggets (cubes) for $1190. "
Of course, this is per ton.

A lot of people here feed a flake of alfalfa every few days for the protein, also about $400+ a ton. This due to Klamath county, where most alfalfa is grown in SW Oregon, continuing drought plus the cost of fertilizer and diesel to produce and deliver . Thank God I only have to feed 2 cows and a horse and don't have to make a profit to exist.

28% range cake here is $560/ton in 15-1700# totes (thought it was bad at $350/ton last year). Alfalfa at $230-240/ton. Looks like be feeding alfalfa for protein and very little cake. Cake may be only for days when convenience rules. Winter grass stockpile is short so they need the extra dry matter from alfalfa anyway.

Alfalfa is the cheapest protein supplement and possibly the best.
They don't need it every day. Test your hay and find out how much crude protein is
in it.

Cattle are designed to eat forage.

Alfalfa around here is $250-$270 a ton. Two years ago I was feeding 80 old cows. They got 2 big squares fo grass hay per day. Then on two days of the week they got one bale of grass and one bale of alfalfa. That worked out to 4 pounds of alfalfa a day per head. Those old cows looked great come spring.

Grass hay was a bust around here this year. I usually buy around 70 tons from the neighbors out of their meadow a mile away. It didn't get tall enough to cut. My little meadow the brome got maybe 10" tall and was a third of normal production even under irrigation. Millet in the area didn't make anything either. Alfalfa is the only game in town. Pastures maybe grew 50% of normal. Happy to have alfalfa, but it is too good of feed for other than a winter supplement and about half the ration during calving. Next spring will have to feed more alfalfa during calving, which seems to contribute to more scours. Maybe should find some straw and just leave a couple bales out all the time free choice so cows can get the dry matter bulk.

Grass hay was a bust around here this year. I usually buy around 70 tons from the neighbors out of their meadow a mile away. It didn't get tall enough to cut. My little meadow the brome got maybe 10" tall and was a third of normal production even under irrigation. Millet in the area didn't make anything either. Alfalfa is the only game in town. Pastures maybe grew 50% of normal. Happy to have alfalfa, but it is too good of feed for other than a winter supplement and about half the ration during calving. Next spring will have to feed more alfalfa during calving, which seems to contribute to more scours. Maybe should find some straw and just leave a couple bales out all the time free choice so cows can get the dry matter bulk.
Straw will work good withalfalfa, you will be surprised at how much they will eat.

Latest posts