Purina Pet Foods and Angus Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I happened to notice a couple weeks ago that Purina, in some of their dog food formulations, were advertising Angus beef in their ingredients. I was curious just how heavy it was used in their fomulas, so I sent an email and asked. You may (or may not) find Purina's response interesting:

Thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.

We appreciate your inquiry. Please know that we offer the following varieties made with Angus beef:

* Purina(r) ALPO(r) Chop House Originals Ribeye Flavor Cooked In Savory Juices Dog Food With Angus Beef
* Purina(r) ALPO(r) Chop House Originals(tm) Filet Mignon Flavor Cooked in Savory Juices Dog Food With Angus Beef
* Purina(r) ALPO(r) Chop House Originals(tm) Top Sirloin Flavor Cooked in Savory Juices Dog Food With Angus Beef

Also, AAFCO (The Association of American Feed Control Officials) develops and implement laws, regulations, definitions and enforcement policies for regulating the manufacture, labeling, distribution and sale of animal feeds. If our products designate "with Angus beef," Angus beef must be at least 3% of the total formulation. For more information, please visit http://www.alpo.com/Products.aspx.

We hope this information is helpful for you and please let us know if you have additional questions.

Again, thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.

But--are the labels black----and what % of that awful color white to they allow to show on the product container & label and still qualify as Angus?

greybeard":6gt79z6m said:
But--are the labels black----and what % of that awful color white to they allow to show on the product container & label and still qualify as Angus?
Awhh, Greybeard, you're not pick'n on my white cattle, are you? :)

Kathie in Thorp":x161pp1f said:
greybeard":x161pp1f said:
Awhh, Greybeard, you're not pick'n on my white cattle, are you? :)

Not a bit--I wuz being 'facetious' about the state of things today.
(I got a handful of chars right outside the yard fence)

I find it interesting that 3% allows it to be labeled as Angus Beef. Reading the label, a person would assume that the majority of the beef would be Angus.

I know that the ingredients on the label have to be listed with the largest percentage of product first.

thanks for writing them and sharing the reply.

Are you people just waking up to the fact that there is no such thing as " true in advertising " any more?
true in advertising in the US disappeared about 20 years ago!
That's about the time the pocket fisherman etc came out.
SL

I want to know which parts of that angus cow are in th dog food. Lips, tits, and eyeballs? And are angus lips better than say a holstein lip?

chippie":wuyf4fm4 said:
I find it interesting that 3% allows it to be labeled as Angus Beef. Reading the label, a person would assume that the majority of the beef would be Angus.

I know that the ingredients on the label have to be listed with the largest percentage of product first.

thanks for writing them and sharing the reply.

The 3% simply applies to "Beef". 60 lbs. per ton. Purina can add the "Angus" to it and there's no way in he77 anyone can prove it's anything else. That "Ribeye flavor" might be better than the real thing.

Latest posts