Purina Mills

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this but still curious. I discovered there is a Purina feed store 2 miles from my house. They order once a week but without knowing prices yet I'm thinking they are probably pretty high. Anyone use Purina or have any experience with them?

sometimes they can be very competitive. At times they have good mineral prices. The feed situation depends on what area you're in. If CPC or Performance are near by, I doubt if they can beat prices. What county?

The store itself is barely in Davidson about a mile or two from the Davidson/Cheatham county line. I was thinking of checking into their all natural feed.

Depends what your buying mineral is good and about the same price of comparable ones ,cubes are competitive with others but fat content may be a little low.Do you have a feed mill in the area that will mix feed for you?I moved to oklahoma from the corn belt the only thing we bought in a bag was mineral and seed ,every thing out here comes in a bag all the oil is taken out and they charge more :mad:

now if you buy natural or organic feed expect to pay through the nose for it.the organic feeds are twice as high as reg feed.

I just thought I would check into the all natural because it would be a good selling tool to the people who will buy from me. I also can show them an ingredient list and tell them they have eaten grass and these ingredients and nothing else. Depending on the cost it might be worth it as I might be able to get a little more premium price for the beef.

tncattle":21a5nnd7 said:
I just thought I would check into the all natural because it would be a good selling tool to the people who will buy from me. I also can show them an ingredient list and tell them they have eaten grass and these ingredients and nothing else. Depending on the cost it might be worth it as I might be able to get a little more premium price for the beef.

Big difference between "natural" and "organic". Natural is pretty easy, organic is..........

tncattle":3mtz5dah said:
I think I know the answer to this but still curious. I discovered there is a Purina feed store 2 miles from my house. They order once a week but without knowing prices yet I'm thinking they are probably pretty high. Anyone use Purina or have any experience with them?

tn.........they're all high now no matter where you buy. Purina makes some good feeds. Don't care for any of their pelleted feeds but some of the textured feeds are ok. Just keep in mind "you're getting just what you pay for" when you get an el-cheapo feed.

we are lucky to have some good feed mills around our area.. and you don't have to pay the extra for the name.... or the mark up from passing through several hand's

ALACOWMAN":h6r5pn99 said:
we are lucky to have some good feed mills around our area.. and you don't have to pay the extra for the name.... or the mark up from passing through several hand's

Those checkerboards and shiny bags can get expensive sometimes. Almost as bad as John Deere Green.

ALACOWMAN":672ao0jh said:

One of our local mills shut down there operation. Commodity price was too high and unstable. Now they're just a feed store selling pre-bagged feeds.

WEll, the Purina feed is out of the question, they wanted $9.40 for a 50 lb. bag! Do the math that is well over $300 a ton. I ordered a ton of Bruton feed from CPC commodities that is being delivered on a truck of feed that is going to a friend of mine and their is no shipping charge and I don't have to pay taxes. Much better deal and just as good or better feed.

We have a local feed store that sells Purina products. They don't seem to be hardly any higher on prices than anyone else around. 12% calling cubes are $250 a ton.

Cal

I used to buy Wendlents (sp) range cubes that after several days in the barn would mildew. I tried a ton of Purina range cubes and the last bag I fed looked just as good as the first. Don't know if the two suppliers were really any different or just the circumstance but Purina is all I use now. I don't see a lot of difference in price. JMHO.