Purina Fly Control

Help Support CattleToday:

I was wondering how something like Purina tub for fly control works.
I'm new to this and I have a lot of flies laying eggs = maggots!
The mineral and tubs contain a chemical or insecticide called IGR (insect growth regulator) that is harmless to the cattle and passes through their system and is left deposited in their manure. The flies lay their eggs in the manure and the IGR disrupts the life cycle of the fly. Bear in mind it does not affect the adult insects very much, but it does the eggs, larva, and pupa. You will have to wait for the adult flies to die a natural death. I have no idea about IGR's safety on pigs, chickens or rabbits. Maybe one of the Vets on here will chime in on that.

just remember igr products also disrupt the cycle of beneficial insects that help break down manure, such as dung beetles.

I am lucky to live in a mostly dry climate where insects/flies are a little less of a problem so I understand the need for doing something, but I will never forget seeing a print add for some product like that that showed a picture of a manure pile and called it a "tombstone" for flies. sorry, I prefer it to break down and help the soil. don't want to kill those bugs.

instead of selecting for black hides we should maybe think more about selecting for resistance to flies/parasites.

just remember igr products also disrupt the cycle of beneficial insects that help break down manure, such as dung beetles.

I am lucky to live in a mostly dry climate where insects/flies are a little less of a problem so I understand the need for doing something, but I will never forget seeing a print add for some product like that that showed a picture of a manure pile and called it a "tombstone" for flies. sorry, I prefer it to break down and help the soil. don't want to kill those bugs.

instead of selecting for black hides we should maybe think more about selecting for resistance to flies/parasites.
No IGR does NOT disrupt dung beetles. I have sold a lot of it in mineral. I've been asked and checked it out thoroughly.

Residual insecticides, such as organophosphates, are toxic to beneficial insects, such as coprophagous flies and beetles, predaceous beetles, parasitic wasps and dung beetles. Altosid® IGR does not disrupt dung composition and does not harm beneficial insects.

Another source:

1. Protect Non-Target Species – Because Altosid® IGR was developed for horn flies, the product has no harmful effect on beneficial insects. While residual insecticides, such as organophosphates, are toxic to beneficial insects, such as coprophagous flies and beetles, predaceous beetles, parasitic wasps and dung beetles, Altosid® IGR does not harm these insects or disrupt dung composition.

No IGR does NOT disrupt dung beetles. I have sold a lot of it in mineral. I've been asked and checked it out thoroughly.

Residual insecticides, such as organophosphates, are toxic to beneficial insects, such as coprophagous flies and beetles, predaceous beetles, parasitic wasps and dung beetles. Altosid® IGR does not disrupt dung composition and does not harm beneficial insects.

Another source:

1. Protect Non-Target Species – Because Altosid® IGR was developed for horn flies, the product has no harmful effect on beneficial insects. While residual insecticides, such as organophosphates, are toxic to beneficial insects, such as coprophagous flies and beetles, predaceous beetles, parasitic wasps and dung beetles, Altosid® IGR does not harm these insects or disrupt dung composition.
it may not affect insects that feed on dung, but I am pretty sure it affects anything that hatches and spends larval stages there. (and of course there are many different species of dung beetles) I could be wrong, but the mechanism of the chemical inhibits growth and development and I doubt it is specific to Diptera.

found this...the dung beetles themselves help reduce fly populations too. it also mentions the detrimental effects of dewormers.

this seems to indicate fairly safe, though dose dependent https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19389300/

Stop in the winter and feed regular salt/mineral, but start putting garlic salt blocks back out before fly season kicks off so the garlic gets back in their system.
Read an article lately that it might have similar effects to ticks and lice, my first year trying garlic in tubs but thought about doing garlic salt in the winter, been using sulfur salt to help minimize infections and havent seen any eye issues since we started

Latest posts