Purina Accuration...any comments?

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
Heard an interesting sales pitch about Purinas Accuration product recently. It comes in tubs or liquid tank. Only supposed to consume it in relation to how good or poor your grass or hay is. Its to help them maintain a good body score condition during poor quality grass or hay intake.
Has any body tried it or currently using it?

We fed something that was called accuration back in the 90s. Came in a meal form and was mixed with fish oil to self limit the cows. We had big rented feeders in every pasture and had someone deliver it. I really don't remember how the cows did, but we quit using it so i'm guessing the guys decided we didn't need it.

cowgirl8":1ac2bjsf said:
We fed something that was called accuration back in the 90s. Came in a meal form and was mixed with fish oil to self limit the cows. We had big rented feeders in every pasture and had someone deliver it. I really don't remember how the cows did, but we quit using it so i'm guessing the guys decided we didn't need it.
That was the original "Accuration". They still make it, it's a good product but usually pretty expensive but has a very high energy level and will put pounds on your cattle. They added the name "Accuration" to several other products now. Most all liquids and tubs are formulated to limit intake to a certain amount. The all will compliment your roughage. Talk to about anybody and they have good results with what they use....just about an equal number will cuss the stuff they used. Everybody has an opinion based on experience.

I bought one bag of purina mineral several years ago. It had two bolts and a link of conveyer chain it. I will never buy anything they sell ever. I sure it was very random, but it turned me off real fast.

I tried the fish meal accuration mixed with rolled corn and was not impressed. It's expensive and my feeder cattle sorted through it. After a week there would be all the meal in the bottom of the feeder and no corn. Maybe a fluke not sure but I didn't care for it.

Smoothy":14ha56jo said:
I tried the fish meal accuration mixed with rolled corn and was not impressed. It's expensive and my feeder cattle sorted through it. After a week there would be all the meal in the bottom of the feeder and no corn. Maybe a fluke not sure but I didn't care for it.

From what I understand this is in a liquid or tub form and you put it out when feeding hay or grazing pasture at various stages of nutrition. If the hay or grass is great they won't consume much but if it isn't they will....to sort of fill up the gap and maintain body condition.

That sounds like a good product. Keep us posted if you decide to try it I'd like to know how it works for you

Currently using the accuration tubs as part of a trial on a group of 60 or so first calf heifers at work. Think the tubs were around $89 for a 200ish pound tub and recommended feed rate is 1-3 pounds per day. They are eating a little under 1.5 lbs per day so pretty expensive to feed. They seem to be holding shape but have also have very good grass conditions and so we are cutting back on the tubs and moving to mineral. Might work but very expensive way to do it when you can get gluten for under $ .07 a pound delivered here and set out a feeder with some kind of limiter.

bmoore87":177dehbx said:
Currently using the accuration tubs as part of a trial on a group of 60 or so first calf heifers at work. Think the tubs were around $89 for a 200ish pound tub and recommended feed rate is 1-3 pounds per day. They are eating a little under 1.5 lbs per day so pretty expensive to feed. They seem to be holding shape but have also have very good grass conditions and so we are cutting back on the tubs and moving to mineral. Might work but very expensive way to do it when you can get gluten for under $ .07 a pound delivered here and set out a feeder with some kind of limiter.
It was my understanding it did have a limiter in it be it fish oil or something else. If your grass or hay was real good they wouldn't eat much of it and vise versa.

We have been using the Purina Accuration Tubs (25% protein, 5% fat) along with the Purina Wind and Rain minerals for two years now. I have been very satisfied with my results on my cattle. Going to switch to the 10% fat this year now that is is available here in ET.
They averaged about 2lbs per day per head, it really did depend on the quality of hay i had to feed as well. The drought hit me hard last year and I lost my pasture real quick, so had to start feeding hay in September. I knew in order to keep a good body score on my cows going into winter and that it would take time to do that vs waiting till it was too late, I would need to supplement, that would also stretch my hay out. They come in a 200lb tub or a 500lb block depending on how many cattle you are putting it in with.
I worked with Purina (they came for a farm visit with Coop) and they looked at my cattle and agreed that in the best option was Tubs over the liquid. It came down to convenience for me with tubs vs liquid when moving cows and providing the nutrition.
First set of Tubs was like putting a straw in a cup, they consumed real fast, then they slowed down and would utilize them the same as minerals. Also moved them further away from water, so the cows had to make a special trip to consume. Calves also utilized the tubs. Now as I start creep feeding calves I put the tub in there especially for the calves and they love it.
I liked that the tubs were poured and not baked, made them easier to consume and last longer without waste or souring. It kept my cattle with a good body score and helped out when calving and breeding season came into play.

Would definitely reach out to them and have a person provide you with what works for your farm and cattle, because it is different for each location.

The accuration feed is also available, a bit pricey, if you want to self feed. I hand feed each day to keep contact with my cattle, especially bulls.

bmoore87":3vopcxw9 said:
Sounds pretty much like all your higher quality cooked tubs. All will usually have more vitamin and mineral fortification and low consumption rate.

Purina accuration is a great feed. However, you are definitely pay for it! There are products out there that are just as good for a lot less money.

Reviving this thread. I'm at our annual feed store customer appreciation dinner, where we have the option to contract feed quantities to lock in prices.
Our hay is crap this year; 6.6% protein and 46 tdn. We are feeding lactating cows, most are fall calving. I can contract 200 pound box for $ 69, or 500 lb box for $162. That is the high fat accuration product (25%protein, 10% fat). My other option is a ddg mix with a salt limiter. Ddg is $11.40 @ 100#. So much cheaper, but the protein is less (18%), and less fat (4%.)
Regardless of what I choose, I will have to supplement that freaking expensive junk.
Any new opinions on the accuration tubs?

Fire Sweep wouldn't it be cheaper to get a grain mix and pail feed the cows? Them tubs are really handy that you come set them out and cows do the work. Convenience costs money usually!

Latest posts