Purebred?

Help Support CattleToday:

colleen

Reaction score
On registration papers, what does purebred actually mean as opposed to 5/8 SIMM 3/8 br?

Colleen

Purebred is based ona percentage of a given breed. I think some breeds require more of that specific breed to qualify. Fullblood is (supposed to be) 100% of the specified breed. If it is labeled as purebred that means it has at least the minimum of the specified breed. Could be more.

I,being a old purebred breeder, would call a5/8's---3/8's a composite[or crossbred] blows my mind when someone has"papers" on such a animal. Many years ago when the American Quarter Horse Assc. started theywent around and solicetedbreeders to have their horse's inspected and if the horse met certan things,it was then accepted. First of all it really depended on who you were and I don't really remember what all thee other critera was as we were not involved. To make a long story short along came another 1/4 horse assc.{model 1/4 horse] it's main purpose was to make sure allof these cow ponies had some kind of papers[my dad was involved with that one somewhat] did'nt make our saddle horses a damn bit better. But sure did make a few people ajob and they did a lot of inspecting. I supose somewhere there is a place that can and will make a paper-pedigree trail for anything but what for????

With the Gelbvieh breed here are in perchantages

100%-Fullblood
94%-Purebred
88%-Purebred
75% down to 25% is a balancer.
under 25% is hybrid

We never planned on doing the registered cattle thing, we just wanted a good bull. We ended up getting some quality Simbrah cows too and now have all registered Simbrahs except for 2 old cows. So far we are very pleased! Hold up really well in our southeast Texas climate. Never had seen one that had purebred on the papers.

colleen":21izyx2b said:
We never planned on doing the registered cattle thing, we just wanted a good bull. We ended up getting some quality Simbrah cows too and now have all registered Simbrahs except for 2 old cows. So far we are very pleased! Hold up really well in our southeast Texas climate. Never had seen one that had purebred on the papers.
The Simmenthal website probably has a somewhere tha they define what percentages are required to be purebred

Latest posts