purebred vs fullblood

Help Support CattleToday:

OP
A

Anonymous

I usually get these backwards cause they don't make sense, but, fullblood means no ther then the single breed is present, purebred means bred up from another breed. A Braunvieh bull bred to an Angus cow would create an F1. If you breed that F1 to aBraunvieh, and the off spring from that to a Branvieh, etc. after X generations you would have a purebred Braunvieh. It normally takes one more generations for a purebred bull then a purebred cow.

dun

> I was wondering what the
> difference was between purebred
> and fullblood.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Danny, up here purebred and fullblood usually apply to continental breeds. Purebreds have gone through the upgrading process from a cow of another breed. A fullblood traces back to European decendats on both sides, supposedly. There are still genetics being imported from Europe at least in the Simmental breed. ABS brought in semen on a bull called Ho a few years back. He couldn't be registered as a fullblood in Canada because he had I believe some Red Angus in him. The Americans accepted him but I don't know if they have a fullblood distinction in their herd book. I don't think he was much good so it didn't matter.

> I was wondering what the
> difference was between purebred
> and fullblood.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Yeah, Dun. You have totally confused me with that one. The couple of typos really threw me. Try again! Thanks. Uncle Bill
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Hell, that's less typos then normal for me. Fullblood, is pure, no other breed involved any where in the pedigree, not ever. Purebred, bred up from something else. As has been said, it's mainly in continentals, except, MGs, Shorthorns, and I'm sure there are others. Breed a bull, either purebred or fullblood to a cow of another breed. Breed the offspring from that to a bull of the sire breed, either purebred or fullblood keep doing that and you end up with purebred. It takes one more generation for a bull to be considered purebred then it does a cow. Or you read amazed's comments, says the same thing pretty much but a lot simpler then I have attempted to explain it.

dun

> Yeah, Dun. You have totally
> confused me with that one. The
> couple of typos really threw me.
> Try again! Thanks. Uncle Bill
 
OP
A

Anonymous

It will be 5 generations to be a purebred but in most of the breeds 7/8 in a cow and 15/16 in a bull will give a Purebred

> I usually get these backwards
> cause they don't make sense, but,
> fullblood means no ther then the
> single breed is present, purebred
> means bred up from another breed.
> A Braunvieh bull bred to an Angus
> cow would create an F1. If you
> breed that F1 to aBraunvieh, and
> the off spring from that to a
> Branvieh, etc. after X generations
> you would have a purebred
> Braunvieh. It normally takes one
> more generations for a purebred
> bull then a purebred cow.

> dun

[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top