Purebred Red Charlois

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

This past summer at the sale barn a local guy sold a 2750# Red charlois bull and this past week he sold two cows that were 2100#. Has anybody else heard about this breed and if you have are they always so big?? Jake

[email protected]

That's he said they are he said they were an import from Canada that he's been raising for a couple years. The bull last year looked so bif he could have been part Mammoth.

[email protected]

i'll never understand the north american thing about trying to give certain cattle breeds a different colour. it's just a waste of other more valuable traits.

[email protected]

red charolais have been around for years. they used to get discounted just b/c they were red. I dont think they average any bigger than your regular white charolais, probably just had the feed poured to them.

> Where can anyone find info on these? Are they red like a Red Angus etc? I've seen and had Charolais crosses that come out with a red or yellow color but have never heard of a red charolais. I wonder how long before a black charolais hits the market.

[email protected]

There is a place in Canada that has had black charolais for a number of years

dun

Jake,

In Canada as stated before Red charolais particularly the light red type are common. They have been around for years but were passed off as cream colored. May herd always had a few light red cows left over from the grading up process. These cows were cullparticularly hard due to the off type color. Breeders kept these cows around because they weaned good calves and weren't any bother. What gave the red charolais a big boost is the dominant position the charolais breed has in Canada. If you want to add value to your calf crop using a charolais is the way it is done up north. Many breeders of red breeds did not want to use a charolais bull because they would be getting some white calves or maybe they had white cows they wanted to get buckskin calves out of; this created a demand for red charolais bulls (charolais performance and red color). Red factor cattle range from straw colored to dark red (coffee colored). A few black cattle exist but their are not many of them (around 50 purebreds)They are horned and do not consistantly put out black calves. HEJ Charolais and Charmaine are the two main black breeders. Plenty of red charolais from many French, U. S. and Candian bloodlines exist. Go to <A HREF="http://www.charolaisbanner.com" TARGET="_blank">www.charolaisbanner.com</A> and look at the breeders websites. Just about every breeder has red bull ranging from calving ease to full on performance. Belmont Charolais has a very good bull called MSW Y2K. Check him out.

Mark

[email protected]

i'm very doubtful of the fact that there are red charolais from direct french lineage. maybe some percentage breeding is being done in canada or the states with french charolais and maybe a limo, but no way a full french line charolais with a red colour will be picked up in their herdbook. that's not the way things are being done in europe.

[email protected]

Red charolais were created back in the 70's when charolais breeders started crossing with simmentals, the herdbook now lets charolais in with 15/16 blood, the red color is not all that rare, but not all that common, it is not able to be shown, and its registry is different do to its red factors

Mike,

In Canada we have Full French that are golden in color and will hold the color of the dam that they are bred to. The top charolais bulls in germany and sweden on test came from Canada and this included at least one red factor bull: HTA Desert Storm. The Germans and Swedes like red charolais type cattle. Many of the breeders of these cattle are in fact native Germans and Danes. North American Charolais breeders often use the best French bulls. However they also are not scared to compete with them in international breeding stock markets. They often enter european performance trials-and win.

Mark
> i'm very doubtful of the fact that
> there are red charolais from
> direct french lineage. maybe some
> percentage breeding is being done
> in canada or the states with
> french charolais and maybe a limo,
> but no way a full french line
> charolais with a red colour will
> be picked up in their herdbook.
> that's not the way things are
> being done in europe.