purebred polled Herefords: registered or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
346
Reaction score
0
Location
Minnesota
I am looking to improve my herd with quality. Would it be best to have them registered or doesn't it really matter. I recently bought 4 cows that were suppossed to be purebred and about 3 years old , but without papers how do I have proof of the breeding or age? Is it best to buy a heifer or cow? If anyone knows of a breeder that I could trust in the Minnesota area or about how much I am probably going to need to spend on quality I would love to know!
Thanks
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
What breed are you wanting to have or, are you open minded at this point and are willing to consider any breed that does good in your area?
I know several Angus breeders in Minn.; some with really good cattle and some not so good.
It depends on how good a quality that you want and can afford.

Many others on this Board know of Breeders of other breeds.
How far are you willing to travel.? Minnesota is a long state, with
very good cattle in adjoining states in each direction.
 
OP
Kelly

Kelly

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
346
Reaction score
0
Location
Minnesota
Sorry about the minor detail of naming the breed. I have Polled Hereford now that I have been crossing with Angus. I am trying to decide which way I want to go raise purebred breeding stock? Or raise steer for selling for beef in which I like the cross of Hereford/Angus. I guess I am trying to find what makes the most sense economically. Where exactly is the money??
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
The money is in selling stuff to farmers. As to cattle, you can better answer what is the best seller and most profitable in your area.

dun

Kelly":3v5rju7y said:
Sorry about the minor detail of naming the breed. I have Polled Hereford now that I have been crossing with Angus. I am trying to decide which way I want to go raise purebred breeding stock? Or raise steer for selling for beef in which I like the cross of Hereford/Angus. I guess I am trying to find what makes the most sense economically. Where exactly is the money??
 

TheBullLady

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
3,537
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
Selling registered cattle is all well and good, but it takes a lot of years to build up your reputation and actually start making any money at it. It also takes a lot of showing / hobnobbing/ consigning to registered sales, which costs a lot more money than just breeding terminal calves and selling them at market.
 
A

Anonymous

My Uncle raised registered Polled Herefords until he died in '98. My cousin took over the operation and quit registering the cattle due to poor demand for Polled Hereford bulls in South Carolina. He still he keeps a high dollar registered Polled Hereford bull out there to keeps his here Polled Hereford. I grew up beside his place and his Polled Herefords were like lapdogs. It is sad that a good breed like Polled Herefords are on the demise here in South Carolina due to the Black Angus pancea (DISCLAIMER: Black Angus is a good breed equal to a Hereford, but not better).
 

Campground Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
Location
East Texas
Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":2o5bdit1 said:
My Uncle raised registered Polled Herefords until he died in '98. My cousin took over the operation and quit registering the cattle due to poor demand for Polled Hereford bulls in South Carolina. He still he keeps a high dollar registered Polled Hereford bull out there to keeps his here Polled Hereford. I grew up beside his place and his Polled Herefords were like lapdogs. It is sad that a good breed like Polled Herefords are on the demise here in South Carolina due to the Black Angus pancea (DISCLAIMER: Black Angus is a good breed equal to a Hereford, but not better).


Don't despair CHB is really helping Hereford prices. In the last four months at the sale barn my Herefords are beating the black calves. Yesterday at Lufkin salebarn my 400 LB calves brought 1.35 a lb. this is four to five cents over non Hereford. Angus is a great breed that has had great marketing behind them. The AHA is getting there with CHB. I think that there is no demand for Herefords in your area must be a regional thing, I'm constantly getting calls from someone looking for a herd bull.
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
The CHB program will definitely help the prices on Hereford
Cattle, all the way from sale barn calves to Seed Stock.
The Hereford is a GREAT Breed.
As the Angus people have shown, the publicity has every
other breed wanting to be Black.

The color of the hide and hair has nothing to do with the
quality of the meat under the hide.

Personally I would like to see some of the qualifications
for CAB changed.
 

certherfbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2004
Messages
3,052
Reaction score
0
Location
OH
Campground, there are more herefords in east taxas than there are in several of these eastern states all put together! You are right, lack of demand for a good hereford is regional. I'm in Ohio where clubby breeders are taking over. No one wants a good sound registered herd around here any more. They are all shooting for that awesome "hairy" show steer. Not too often do you get hairy with a hereford. Awesome maybe, but not hairy.
 

Campground Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
Location
East Texas
certherfbeef":3fk9todz said:
Campground, there are more herefords in east taxas than there are in several of these eastern states all put together! You are right, lack of demand for a good hereford is regional. I'm in Ohio where clubby breeders are taking over. No one wants a good sound registered herd around here any more. They are all shooting for that awesome "hairy" show steer. Not too often do you get hairy with a hereford. Awesome maybe, but not hairy.

Ranchers in East Texas are raising for the salebarn not the show ring. Angus Brahman Brangus and Hereford are still the most popular breeds.
It's hard to beat F-1 tigerstripes or black baldie calves. Most ranchers here are looking for a good terminal sire to run on crossbred cattle.
 
A

Anonymous

I was always told to keep to black baldies growing up if you are going to crossbreed, but who knows because most of those fellas believed in three strands of barbed wire for fences and that Geurnseys are the best milk cows.
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
Copenhagen & Shiner Bock":ifka96uz said:
I was always told to keep to black baldies growing up if you are going to crossbreed, but who knows because most of those fellas believed in three strands of barbed wire for fences and that Geurnseys are the best milk cows.
"Those fellas" are still right.
 

Latest posts

Top