Pureblooded Chianina Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

TripleB

Reaction score
Is there anyone in the U.S. that raises the pureblood chianina cattle and not the crosses? I'd like to know more about them such as average temperment in bulls and cows, average size (I know they are BIG), what kind of custom handling facilities are needed? And stuff like that.

Thanks

Stef

Italian Fullblood Chianina are remarkable cattle. I have raised them since 1984. I don't have any Fullbloods anymore,I raise Chiangus at this time. You can contact the American Chiannina Association for a list of breeders.There are several people that still have them.
All breeds have cattle that are idiots,but my fullbloods were all very easy to get along with,they are very smart. I worked mine in 6 foot tall pens,only had one get out in all these years.
The cows have small udders,but do a great job with their calves.Bulls are very fertile and can service a large group of cows.
Chianina are super cattle,with alot to offer.They are very large cattle,1500+ lbs. cows and 2500+lbs bulls.You just have to decide if you want to raise big cattle or smaller . Chianina have been big for 2000 years, they are very productive dispite the large size. There is no ideal sized cattle, in my opinion.
Sorry,I could go on forever about these great cattle.
They may not work in all situations,but they can offer alot to most.As a terminal sire or as low percentage females,they offer flexiblity

htrc":ihp0wyrg said:
Italian Fullblood Chianina are remarkable cattle. I have raised them since 1984. I don't have any Fullbloods anymore,I raise Chiangus at this time. You can contact the American Chiannina Association for a list of breeders.There are several people that still have them.
All breeds have cattle that are idiots,but my fullbloods were all very easy to get along with,they are very smart. I worked mine in 6 foot tall pens,only had one get out in all these years.
The cows have small udders,but do a great job with their calves.Bulls are very fertile and can service a large group of cows.
Chianina are super cattle,with alot to offer.They are very large cattle,1500+ lbs. cows and 2500+lbs bulls.You just have to decide if you want to raise big cattle or smaller . Chianina have been big for 2000 years, they are very productive dispite the large size. There is no ideal sized cattle, in my opinion.
They may not work in all situations,but they can offer alot to most.As a terminal sire or as low percentage females,they offer flexiblity

I agree. I also raise ChiX (mostly Chiangus) - Great Cattle

On Fullbloods - I believe Mizes is the biggest producer now - Contact ACA for more info.....

Have an old freind Frank Sruton in Rochester N.H. him and son Arthur has pulled them for years and Frank told me they are the only breed bred for draft. Very tempermental but magnificent LARGE animals.

I know a couple people that claim the most consistently wild cattle they've ever seen were F1 Chianina X Brahman crosses.

Local guys got together and bought a few FB Chi bulls back in the 80s and tried that cross. They haven't seen one in about 20-years because they weren't brave enough to try it again.

Think about the fact that they are crossed.You can't claim that the sire was the only factor in the cattle being high headed. As was stated in an earlier post, there are bloodlines in every breed that tend towards bad dispositions. I work with most of the breeds and crosses. Angus,Hereford,Shorthorn,Salers,Brangus,Brahman,Char.,Simm, Chi,Branv,Gelbv, even Belgium Blues.They all have cattle with good dispositions,they also have idiots.Shorthorns have the rep of being dog gentle.I have been sent to the Doc twice by shorthorn heifers,and one sent my X-wife to the hospital for 10 days and two surg. I do not feel that all shorthorns are goofy,I just got lucky.

The types of cows I'm talking about are always crossed. They stopped using Chi after the first calf crop because they were nuts compared to just about any other breed they had used (Hereford, Angus, Simmental, Charolais, and Limousin that I know of).

I think these people just got into some blood lines that just weren't the best rep. of the breed. I know I've been around these cattle over twenty years now,and have had no real problems with disposition.I have had two old heifers that I couldn't get along with.They went to work in the fast food industry.

The original poster was asking about temperament issues and based on our experience with fullbloods and the Chi influenced club calf bulls of the 90s, it's not a strength of the breed.

With all due respect, of course you are going to say it's just the bloodline, that's what every breeder says about their breed on this board.

I realize that you may think I'm trying to put the big sell on someone.I just know these cattle from experience,and know how they are.I don't have any fullbloods at this time,just because I had to make a choice because of limited land.Chiangus was the direction I went,but the old 5/8-Fullblood Chi cows were by far the most productive females,in my situation. I work cattle on several different places,see about every breed and the crosses.I think as a whole the bloodline has everything in the world to do with dispositions.Two cows of the same breed,side by side, one eats your lunch the other eats grass.See that at about every place I work cows

To be clear, I don't think you're trying to be dishonest at all. Your posts are just very similar to the response from any breed when this subject is brought up.

I understand,I guess I am going on and on. I was just pleading my case on the disposition issue. Disposition is a touchy subject with some breeders. Every breeder in the world says their cattle are dog gentle,ride'em in parades at christmas,and the other ole boys cattle are nuts.

Thanks for all the responses. As far as disposition goes I'm ok with either or, just needing a ball park figure so to speak.

TripleB":74lho70r said:
Is there anyone in the U.S. that raises the pureblood chianina cattle and not the crosses? I'd like to know more about them such as average temperment in bulls and cows, average size (I know they are BIG), what kind of custom handling facilities are needed? And stuff like that.

Thanks

Stef
I raise Full Blood Chianina cattle. I have a small herd at this time but I am putting together a herd at this time. There temper and attitude is based on the owner. My cattle will let me pet them. They great cattle to own and a eyecather as well to people who drive by the far. The size of my cows is about 1600lbs but they are young 4yrs old. The bull is a Grimaldie bull from Walter Mize Ranch and he is a looker. My working area is the same for my Fullbloods and my chia. cross cows. The bull I have is about 5'3'' tall. If you need any more help let me know. My email is as follows
[email protected]
or you can call 1-606-247-2154
I can put you in touch with the best breeders in the business if you need help.
Thanks Chris Howard

TripleB said:
Thanks for all the responses. As far as disposition goes I'm ok with either or, just needing a ball park figure so to speak.[/quote

Triple B:
Give me a call or email and I can give you prices and where to get the quality animals for your money. If you need pictures of my cow calf pair and the bull and other fullblood cows just give me a shout. I have none to sell now but I can get you intouch with the people I got my herd from.
Chris Howard
Kentucky

Howdy , here is what it is : I am from NYC I moved to Texas to come out with a new breed of beef . I have raised and shown horses on Long Island and also sold feed ect. The Chianina is the cow I would like to perchas the sire will remain anonymous I ain't talkin , I rented a ranch just need pure blood full blood Chianina heff deal Ha ! I've been doing stuff like this my whole life , life's a blast with good success

I still have a lifetime membership in the Chianina association. I see fullbloods as somewhat like having a stable of thoroughbred
race horses in that it takes a lot of commitment and resources. From my viewpoint the half and 3/4 blood can be challenging to say
the least. I made a choice not to be involved with them,'God Bless the boys, who make the noise on 16th Avenue' they are not for me!

Without looking I think I had Fignolo (?) bloodline I will say the big bulls are awe inspiring

Latest posts