PURE BRED VS COMMERCIAL VS CROSS

Help Support CattleToday:

ronay0

Reaction score
8) I know this topic has came up before but I could not find it.
If youre starting out (like Cracker) what is best to produce, exactually BUYING a small herd.
Buying pure breed cattle (brahman)
Buying commercial. w/brahman sire.
or buying cross breds (hereford/angus/brahman,<<<options)
The area Im in raises Charlaios- NO pure breds(maybe just inbreeds) Char. mainly because of its size.
Also what is a GOOD size "small" herd to start out w/.
Thanks for your answers/suggestions.
:lol:

ronay0":3s6ak50r said:
If youre starting out (like Cracker) what is best to produce, exactually BUYING a small herd.
The area Im in raises Charlaios- NO pure breds(maybe just inbreeds) Char. mainly because of its size.
I'd start out with Commercial Cattle to get the hang of things.These type Cattle have always been good to us. Believe me there's a lot to learn.You'd have to gear the number of Cattle to the size of your place. Don't overstock.There's a lot to be taken into consideration. What type pasture you have, what part of the Country you're in. If you are beginning, you need to take it slow.Don't rush out and buy the first bunch or single head you see. Get to know folks in your area. Ask questions. Where one Breed does well at the sale barn, another might not sell good, Hope you have all the luck in the world.

If your just starting out, I would recommend either purebred or commercial grade animals, with major percentage of one breed in them. Being green and buying crossbreds doesn't seem to me as a good thing. If your new to the cattle world, buy animals that are composed primarily of one breed, so you have some kind of stability in your herd and know what to expect. Then, identify their faults and find a good bull of another breed to make a healthy F1 cross. Buying a bunch of crossbreds doesn't help maintain a one colour or confirmation calf crop.

I vote red commericial cross breeds.
One you have less invested while learning.
You can turn your calf crop what color you want, if you want black calves put an Angus or Brangus bull on them.
If you want red calfs put a good Hereford bull on them.
Start slow and get your infrastucture built before you buy the first hateful beast,

Caustic Burno":1t3orqdp said:
You can turn your calf crop what color you want, if you want black calves put an Angus or Brangus bull on them.
Start slow and get your infrastucture built before you buy the first hateful beast,

Or..might I add, you can put a good charolais bull on them and get some good cream colored calves and not worry about rattails. (Because the rattail comes from a black gene)

I'm with Caustic. I bought old Angus x cows to start out with. Decided I did really like the cows. Bought F-1 Heifers, did well, and am now slowly investing in purebreds.

Caustic Burno":1od2rigi said:

Sounds good to me. If I was going to start up my own herd this what I would do.

Ryan

If you are in Fla. or anywhere in the deep south, I suggest crossbreds with some Brahman (brimmer) in them. May consider a two or three breed rotational cross with Charolais terminal sire. But don't try to get too fancy to start with. Just get some decent cows and give it a try.

ronay0":36sb5psz said:

Do you need the Brahman influence or just like their looks? Are you expecting to make money off your herd? Will you be selling at the sale barn or to individuals?

I think caustic is dead on, I am a purebred Charolais man as well as Red Commericial. Take the reds and cross to charolais, hereford, back to red angus, brama or even angus and you will have a marketable calf. If you are down south I would consider the Charolais or brama influence but any of the above will work.

Best of Luck!

Note, The GA/FL Charolais Asso. has a bull/female sale set for Sept. They called it a 30/30/30 sale last year. Sold 30 Char. bulls, 30 females (cow/calf, open & bred heifers & 30 commer. females either part char. or bred to char. If your interested contact KPCATTLE, Pam's on here somewhere.

ronay0 said:
OK sorry for the lack of information-
We have a 7500 acres ranch in northern Sonora Mexico, bordering to Arizona/Nogales. The land is desert, so I will need supplements(But no problems there) I have 3 Brahman heifers and Brahman BUll, my Brother has another 3 plus 8 commercial so about 15-20 total. I need to increase the herd ASAP.
I will be selling to general people in town and maybe in the future export to US, sell at auction barn in Hermosillo.
The main breed they use there in mylocal area and mainly the State of Sonora is Charolais.
My dad said Hereford X Brahman, angus is too small, Charolais is ok, I like BC there big.(does bigger = more weight) I want quanity FIRST then quality with my brahman.
Ok- Thanks for the infor guys.
AND YEAH I MIGHT BE NEW BUT SINCE I HAVE YOU GUYS I CONSIDER MYSELF AN EXPERT. lol

Caustic Burno":3cm2v9pi said:

Ok I have selected Hereford/Red-Black Angus. or Commercial
Whats a good size to start with.
Buy-
1. 10 heifers
2. 10 cow/calf pair
3. 20 H
4. 20 C/C