Pure Bred Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

wvcowgirl

Reaction score
Hello, I have lived on a farm with hereford cattle for over thirty years, but have just recently decided to give it a 100% of my time. We have always kept them because they were easy to handle and kept the farm clean. I know the basics, but would like to know more. I have just began keeping up with the papers and would like to talk to other people who have hereford cattle. There is nothing wrong with the other breeds but my dad is a hereford man and I guess thirty years of preaching has stuck in my head. ;-)

What kind do u have (polled or horned)? Would like to see some pics and know the breeding behind them. I have herefords also but mine are horned and not many people care for the horns. I like you have been around them most all my life and enjoy working with them.Most of mine go back to my great grandfathers herd but only have a handfull of cows. Welcome to the boards always room for another hereford breeder. :) JHH

JHH":1l0e3m68 said:
What kind do u have (polled or horned)? Would like to see some pics and know the breeding behind them. I have herefords also but mine are horned and not many people care for the horns. I like you have been around them most all my life and enjoy working with them.Most of mine go back to my great grandfathers herd but only have a handfull of cows. Welcome to the boards always room for another hereford breeder. :) JHH
We have the polled. My dad started out with 5 registered over thirty years ago . He says he has the papers and I have been looking for them. All of the bulls he ever bought were registered but he never kept up with the papers. I have the papers from the 2 bulls we have now. He has raised all of his cattle here on the farm. He mainly did it just to keep the farm down. I plan on trying to get a few more. I want to keep the heifers out of my oldest bull and I have contracted to buy 2 registered heifers next spring.
Good to know that I'm not the only one who likes the herefords. Everyone around me is in the business for the money and they keep trying to get me to get a black bull, but give me a hereford any day. ;-)

i like herefords too, but here they aren't good quality and don't bring much at the sale. i get catalogs from all the hereford sales, i like the horned ones. jamison hereford in kansas are my favorite.

Welcome. It is no secret that I am a Hereford man, and it does my heart good to hear from folks like you. Quality cattle of any color will make you money if managed right, especially in these good years we've been having.

wvcowgirl":1o6hithu said:
Hello, I have lived on a farm with hereford cattle for over thirty years, but have just recently decided to give it a 100% of my time. We have always kept them because they were easy to handle and kept the farm clean. I know the basics, but would like to know more. I have just began keeping up with the papers and would like to talk to other people who have hereford cattle. There is nothing wrong with the other breeds but my dad is a hereford man and I guess thirty years of preaching has stuck in my head. ;-)

You probably should join the Hereford Association. They will send you lots of information on the breed, how to register, costs, etc. Here's the website:

http://www.hereford.org

O.k. for all of the hereford experts, a stupid question but I have to ask. I've heard that polled herefords are smaller than horned. I don't have much experience with them, not trying to be mean. Maybe just a rumor started by an angus breeder. I'm thinking of using a hereford bull in 2006 to breed some of my brangus cows to make baldies.

cypressfarms":fdlffjjd said:
O.k. for all of the hereford experts, a stupid question but I have to ask. I've heard that polled herefords are smaller than horned. I don't have much experience with them, not trying to be mean. Maybe just a rumor started by an angus breeder. I'm thinking of using a hereford bull in 2006 to breed some of my brangus cows to make baldies.

That would be a great cross.

There are all sizes in both horned and polled Herefords, and I don't think that one averages larger than the other.

greenwillowherefords":16l4ksbl said:
cypressfarms":16l4ksbl said:

That would be a great cross.

There are all sizes in both horned and polled Herefords, and I don't think that one averages larger than the other.
Bullseye GW.

cypressfarms":3rbddn3g said:

Do I sense an impending storm? 8)

I run some horns and I know many that run polled - be curious to see how this one is answered myself.

And after all - how can anyone trust an Angus breeder to say something nice about cows with horns or white faces! 8)

Don't them Angus folk have something called CAB - where any black animal can be called Angus beef as well? 8)

I think if you were talking to someone from the dark side you might ignore it as a probable falsehood. 8)

Bez'

Bez'

I'm not an angus breeder. I have some commecial brangus, and a group of mongrels, as I was told. At my dads place we have mostly brangus crosses.

I really was asking the question seriously, even though it may seem an invitation to war. I'd like to get 15 or 20 replacement "super" baldy heifers, so thats the reason for the question.

cypressfarms":5rbldanb said:
Bez'

I'm not an angus breeder. I have some commecial brangus, and a group of mongrels, as I was told. At my dads place we have mostly brangus crosses.

I really was asking the question seriously, even though it may seem an invitation to war. I'd like to get 15 or 20 replacement "super" baldy heifers, so thats the reason for the question.

Well, you asked a serious question so I will give you a serious answer.

What in the heck is a super baldie? Just another marketing term for a Herf Angus cross? Never heard the term super added to Baldies before. It's a good cross, but they are certainly not super - just good cows that manage to hold up their end of the deal.

I was just stirring the pot a bit.

So, in the old days, the Polled were smaller. Today as a Horned guy I am actually seeing that go the way of the DoDo Bird. Proper breeding, and yes, some Horned influence has increased the size of the polled animals.

Unfortunately for the breed, it is an old breed - and it is a very common breed. Herfs in general were often purchased as something to "just throw in the field" and left to their own devices. As such, the breed took a real kicking in the performance factor.

I have run 'em all. Angus - Red and Black - peas in a pod in my opinion once you take their clothes off, Herfs - polled and Horned and the crosses - giving me red and black Baldies.

Depending on the genetic makeup of the Sire and the Dam you will get something good or something bad - no matter what the breed.

So, find yourself some good Herfs - breed to a good Angus - I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Too bad you jumped in so quick - I was waiting to see what would happen - unfortunately, I was morally bound to respond to you!! :lol:

Bez'

Bez'":5ihkl3sa said:
What in the heck is a super baldie? Just another marketing term for a Herf Angus cross? Never heard the term super added to Baldies before.

super baldie is a herf/brangus

cypressfarms":a5crmsav said:
Bez'

I did not mean to insult the heifers by calling them "mongrels"; but when you have Charolais looking calves, Brangus looking calves, Angus cross calves, Angus?-Jersey? looking cross calves, etc all in the same contemporary group....."mongrel" is the word that comes to mind to describe the group as a whole. They look like put together stockyard cattle. That is actually pretty common in herds around here. Your bull is half the genetics in your calf crop and after one generations your last two bulls are 75% of your calf crop and the resulting calf crop is reasonably uniform no matter what the original herd looked like.

txag":3pcsrv4i said:
Bez'":3pcsrv4i said:
What in the heck is a super baldie? Just another marketing term for a Herf Angus cross? Never heard the term super added to Baldies before.

super baldie is a herf/brangus

You guys just HAD to take all the sport out of it, dinchya'?

Bez'

Hey Bez'

We can tell real easily the super baldies from the regular cause they all have a white marking on their chest in the form of an S.

It's kind of laughable to the point of sickness all the catchy names that come out to make something sound good. Angus plus, super baldy, Angus supreme, black herefords. I'm just as much to blame, though, cause I just posted a topic asking people about my new angus plus bull. I guess I should have said angus + 18.75% brahman.

cypressfarms":de4jqv8v said:
Hey Bez'

We can tell real easily the super baldies from the regular cause they all have a white marking on their chest in the form of an S.

It's kind of laughable to the point of sickness all the catchy names that come out to make something sound good. Angus plus, super baldy, Angus supreme, black herefords. I'm just as much to blame, though, cause I just posted a topic asking people about my new angus plus bull. I guess I should have said angus + 18.75% brahman.

Yeah, it takes all the flash out of my plain old easy wintering - out doors no bedding no shelter, easy calving, good (and very defensive) Moms, easy handling, heavy weaning garden variety Horned Herfs.

But then again, they are just a gate run group. 8)

No wonder they are looked down upon by so many of the new wave cattle folks. Oh well, they work for us.

Regards,

Bez'

Well....I should keep my mouth shut and just keep reading...but...folks just don't see many Brahman influenced cows up here in cold country. I'm sure they are around but I must admit I really don't go looking for them....gusee that the ears get to cold after labor day. We keep some horned herfs and angus and baldies...and one Lim heifer (bred to our red angus), all winter well...and sell well.
Just needed to add something not jump into the frey.
Dave Mc

Bez'":yd8muss5 said:
cypressfarms":yd8muss5 said:

Do I sense an impending storm? 8)

I run some horns and I know many that run polled - be curious to see how this one is answered myself.

And after all - how can anyone trust an Angus breeder to say something nice about cows with horns or white faces! 8)

Don't them Angus folk have something called CAB - where any black animal can be called Angus beef as well? 8)

I think if you were talking to someone from the dark side you might ignore it as a probable falsehood. 8)

Bez'

Bez what is wrong with these people speading these rumors might give the bull a complex.

Latest posts