Purchasing New Tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

bncsimps

Well-known member
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Location
AL
First time considering purchasing new tractor off the lot. I was wondering if tractor sales work
similar to auto sales? Does the salesperson typically negoiate the sales price or is it a no-haggling type of deal? Looking forward to reading your responses.

BKS
 
OP
B

bncsimps

Well-known member
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Location
AL
Angus Cowman":3hdvr5rz said:
alot of that depends on what size and price range of tractor you are buying

A smaller tractor or one of the Special packages they advertise there isn't much room to negotiate on a larger more expensive tractor they have a little wiggle room


I'm looking at an '09 JD 5083 with front-end loader. It prices out with tax and all at about $42800.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
bncsimps":nph03yf7 said:
Angus Cowman":nph03yf7 said:
alot of that depends on what size and price range of tractor you are buying

A smaller tractor or one of the Special packages they advertise there isn't much room to negotiate on a larger more expensive tractor they have a little wiggle room


I'm looking at an '09 JD 5083 with front-end loader. It prices out with tax and all at about $42800.

Some will dicker, some won;t. Depends on the individual dealership
 

MShaffer

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 17, 2008
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Indiana
I bought a Case-IH last year. I had the local dealer quote it. He came down a little off of sticker.

I drove an hour to a second dealer and he quoted the same tractor for $4K less then the local dealer with no dickering.

The local dealer called me wanting the sale. I told him I had a better price and was shopping the other brands. He called back in 20 minutes and beat the second dealer by $200. We bought from the local dealer and that hour drive saved us $4k. I never told him the other price or where the other dealer was localed.

It never hurts to shop around.
 

Limomike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
4,132
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
bncsimps":mep1spyk said:
First time considering purchasing new tractor off the lot. I was wondering if tractor sales work
similar to auto sales? Does the salesperson typically negoiate the sales price or is it a no-haggling type of deal? Looking forward to reading your responses.

BKS
When you are buying something new... EVERYTHING is up for negotiations... especially in these tough economic times. I would push them hard to get the bottom dollar, and then tell them you will think about it and go home. They will probably end up calling you and offering a lower price. Don't let them say, " Oh whats $500 or $1000 ?" Tell them its alot in this day. Also, get them to throw in an extra 6 months to a year free maintenance too.. (along with the warranty that will come with it).
 

jedstivers

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
5,787
Reaction score
1
Location
Marianna Arkansas (East Central)
bncsimps":23x5oitp said:
Angus Cowman":23x5oitp said:
alot of that depends on what size and price range of tractor you are buying

A smaller tractor or one of the Special packages they advertise there isn't much room to negotiate on a larger more expensive tractor they have a little wiggle room


I'm looking at an '09 JD 5083 with front-end loader. It prices out with tax and all at about $42800.
Do you have sales tax on ag equipment in AL? In AR we don't.
 

DiamondSCattleCo

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
1,373
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Saskatchewan
Depends on tractor size. On a $40,000 tractor, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get them down at _least_ $3000 off sticker. You've gotten good advice. Shop around. Its nice to support local, but not at a substantial cost. I've watched some salemen drop $12,000 off an $80,000 tractor.

Rod
 

Nowland Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
0
Location
Heart of Dixie
Couple of years ago when we bought a new orange tractor there 2 dealerships within 15 miles of here. One dealership was about $2500 higher than the other and would not budge on the price. I ended up buying the tractor from the closest dealership which happened to be owned by a guy I went to school with. While price is the biggest concern, you should also be concerned with the service dept of the dealership.
 

BeefmasterB

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 2, 2008
Messages
614
Reaction score
0
Location
SE TX
Nowland Farms":2r75b58c said:
Couple of years ago when we bought a new orange tractor there 2 dealerships within 15 miles of here. One dealership was about $2500 higher than the other and would not budge on the price. I ended up buying the tractor from the closest dealership which happened to be owned by a guy I went to school with. While price is the biggest concern, you should also be concerned with the service dept of the dealership.

Bought my orange tractor the same way. Called about 5 dealers, told them I was ready to buy and exactly what I wanted. Got the quotes and there was a big difference in price. The dealer I bought from even delivered the 6800 with front-end loader, at no charge. Their service has been great and as as result I have purchased many implements there as well.
 

JMichal

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
Messages
358
Reaction score
0
Location
SW MO
I worked 2 Deere dealers. I was able to get 20 % knocked off the price that you got when you build your own on the website. Which was the same price one of them started at. He had the tractor I wanted in stock. The other guy did not. Turns out I bought it from the guy who did not have it in stock. He got it from the other guy and beat his price by 5%. He was also closer and has a good service reputation.

I think they can go pretty far if they need to make a sale.
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
0
Location
South Georgia
Whenever possible I deal with the owner not a salesperson. I know exactly what I want and ask for his best price. If asked what someone else has quoted my lips are sealed. I won't pit one against the other. They know what they can do and they know how much wiggle room there is and they know I'm serious if I'm asking this question and they know my check don't bounce. Besides, the owner knows his parts and service department is going to make up any deal I got down the road.
 

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
jogee brought up the maim thing.always deal with the owner an not his salesmen.because the owner can give you the rockbottom price.when looking for a new car or truck always deal with the owner there as well.
 

Latest posts

Top