Purchasing A.I. Straws

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv4, I ordered the tape you recommended. It did give me information of what is going on before I attempt to do it. A rancher close by said that it won't be long until he will be AIing some of his cows. He told me that he would call when he was ready to do it so I could go to his barn and observe. He said that he would help me. After watching the tape, it will not make me wonder what is going on inside the cow. Thanks for the information.

Chuckie":1i7nex21 said:
A rancher close by said that it won't be long until he will be AIing some of his cows. He told me that he would call when he was ready to do it so I could go to his barn and observe.

good idea, but if you can, i'd still recommend taking a class. it's a whole 'nother ball game from watching to a.i.'ing. i'm not sure about all classes, but the one i took had auction barn cows lined up to practice on.

txag":23r0h5cm said:
the one i took had auction barn cows lined up to practice on.

That's the way they did the one I attended also. Different cows every morning then again after lunch.

dun

My husband lets me do ther same thing at home with the cows we are taking to the salebarn. I just try and pass the tube through the cervix. Its really very interesting.

A training aid that they gave us before we first tried to get into a cow was a corn cob with a hole through the middle and a sleeve rubberbanded over it. Kind of made a cervix/vagina feeling thing. Without looking we had to be able to straighten out the glove enough that we could pass a pipette through the hole. Amazed me that some people never got the ability to do even that simple thing. None of them ended up graduating either, so I guess it had a valid use.

dun

This is my experience.

The AI manual, video, and hands on experience from someone that Ai'd for years, is how I learned to AI. And I will have to say that I am about 95% accurate on pregnancy. The other 5%, is chalked up to missing the standing heat. It's not really all that difficult.

But this is what worked for me, you just need to figure out what would be the best for you.

i am going to a class in november at harrison, ar. ABS sponsered, finding a tank is the big thing for me. i know a couple of people who have them and they are full because they share with other people.

Chuckie I don't know what part of tennessee you are in, but Select Sires had a place in Springhill(between Columbia and Franklin). Also, you could contact Tennessee Cattle Association for AI schools/company reps. The Beef Agribition(Murfreesboro) usually has a number of AI reps at the trade show.
Good Luck!

Years ago when I was learning how to a.i. the man teaching me made me go to the slaughter house and get an in tact female tract, practice threading a a.i. gun through it then disecting it so I would know what I was feeling and conversly know what I was looking at. I needed know further training than what he taught me and what I got at the slaughter house.

that's a heck of a good idea ollie, I might have to try that at some point, my only problem will be my hands are too big to do it well.

Jake":30jkx9eo said:
that's a heck of a good idea ollie, I might have to try that at some point, my only problem will be my hands are too big to do it well.
I can assure you Jake that your biggest problem is the size of a heifers cervix not the size of your hands.

WORANCH, They are closer than the nearest Wal Mart Supercenter!! :lol: Thanks for telling me about them. I am going to call them and find out if they have a school. That would be perfect if they did and as close as they are, I could be home in less than an hour.

Latest posts