Purchase price

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":1s1zqk20 said:
Ok lets put this in perspective...

...when I do cull any 3 or 4yr old cows I also get a premium for them also
Kind of what i think of when I see the pairs come thru. If they were so good why are they in the sale? But then if you by the breds you will soon find you have some culls too.

1982vett":2rropf1o said:
Angus Cowman":2rropf1o said:

Kind of what i think of when I see the pairs come thru. If they were so good why are they in the sale? But then if you by the breds you will soon find you have some culls too.
99% of my culls are not getting them bred back or they calved late and don't fit the program in the last 2yrs have only culled 2 for performance problems and that was out of 180hd

If I don't get them bred in 60-75 days days they go down the road

Jogeephus":2a5octq6 said:
With an open mind, I've been conducting an experiment this year with some "high dollar pure bred registered animals". So far, these animals have shown me they need pampering and have the highest death rate of anything I've ever raised. They also apparantly excede all others in care requirements. Buzzards sure seem to love them but I'll be interested to see what the weaning weights of their calves will be. Afterall, their EPD's are some of the best money can buy.

Breed leading EPDs just tell you that the animals SHOULD outperform their contemporaries if there is enough inputs. If you don't have the environment for those genetics too express themselves, you might not get the performance those EPDs predict.

Brandonm22":4qc49y1u said:
Breed leading EPDs just tell you that the animals SHOULD outperform their contemporaries if there is enough inputs. If you don't have the environment for those genetics too express themselves, you might not get the performance those EPDs predict.

And then you get to accuracies and the bell curve

Color-color-color, I took my calves to the sale wednsday. They were 1/2 longhorn, and 1/2 black angus. All were poled, and all were black except one that was line backed. The line backed brought .63 and the black ones brought .80. GO FIGURE :???:

dun":14nvyl0o said:
Brandonm22":14nvyl0o said:

And then you get to accuracies and the bell curve

Brandonm22, this is exactly my point but many people don't see it this way. Also if the environment they come from includes free choice grain and a bunch of supplements I don't want them. Epd's are a good tool but remember liars figure and figures lie. Until you get a solid CV on the numbers, EPD's are not much better than some tarot cards. Also, if you think about it, don't you think that most data collected for EPD's come from more food rich envrionments thus entering a certain amount of bias?

1982vett":76kwfelr said:
If they were so good why are they in the sale?

Estate sales. Or the folks just got to old to handle the calves. Maybe Paw got heart problems, is in the hospital and the kids came in from the city and shipped the cows because Maw couldn't handle things.

You see just about everything.

Drought wiped out a lot of really good cattle for this climate in '05. That would have been a very good time to be buying.

:oops: backhoe, time for me to do some crawfishing, or at least a little work to keep a statement from getting taken the wrong way.

No doubt some cattle are sold for are reasons other than being dumped on an unsuspecting buyer. Part of the reason some sellers seem to get a premium for their livestock and some don't for the same type cattle.

1982vett":b7ftl47i said:
If they were so good why are they in the sale?

This statement was made in direct relation to the word "cull" in another post.
Angus Cowman":b7ftl47i said:

I am picking on the word "cull" specifically, and they do show up at places where they shouldn't.

By the way, not saying Angus Cowman would try to pull a fast one on a buyer in selling culls. Keeping his statement in correct context that I understood, he said when he does cull any 3 or 4 year old he gets a premium for them. Meaning they are of a quality not up to the standard for his herd but are of a higher quality that a buyer will pay a premium.

Latest posts