Purchase Price

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Do you use a ratio of potential sales price to purchase price to ball park purchase price?

For example, if 4's are selling for $185, I'd pay $1,600 for a 5 year old cow.

Another example, again, if 4's are selling for $185, I'd pay $3,500 for a two year old bull for breeding.

Is there any validity in this line of thought?

Take the ballpark average and take out approximately 15% of the value. That is your price with a healthy margin for market instability. So if your average 5 year old is $1600, find someone with the same quality that will sell for around $1400 or less. The bull would be around $3000 under the same thinking. That way you never have to worry about a market correction - you already have a built-in safety buffer.

HDRider":ox9olwh0 said:
Do you use a ratio of potential sales price to purchase price to ball park purchase price?

Another example, again, if 4's are selling for $185, I'd pay $3,500 for a two year old bull for breeding.

We do on Cows. Figure bulls a little differently, I posted it recently on a different thread here on sales page.

HDRider":tedyp376 said:

Two calves max to buy a cow.
Four to five to buy the right bull.
Bought two heifers this week for the price of two calves.
Got to be willing to haul a empty trailer home from the barn.
Have to be sitting there weekly when the buy comes through don't get caught up in the bidding either.

around here the price depends on the breed of cows and bulls your looking at.example i know a man that has some reg horned hereford bulls coming 2 for $3500ea.where as reg beefmaster bulls aved $5675 a hd.reg open beefmaster heifers $2400 reg bred heifers $3675.these aves was from a sale 2 days ago.

bigbull338":vqut7z70 said:
around here the price depends on the breed of cows and bulls your looking at.example i know a man that has some reg horned hereford bulls coming 2 for $3500ea.where as reg beefmaster bulls aved $5675 a hd.reg open beefmaster heifers $2400 reg bred heifers $3675.these aves was from a sale 2 days ago.
Unless you are seed stock producer those prices for a cow she would never turn a profit in a commercial operation in her life.

I haven't bought a back to the farm cow in years. I doubt I ever buy another one. I'm putting together a decent size group of heifers to breed in May. I'd like to think, that their salvage value will be about equal to what I gave for them. Not really like having money in the bank, but I view them as capitol.

HDRider":vlp2wg2b said:

Less than 100%.
For commercial cows I like to pay less for the replacement then what I sold the cull for. This means I have to sell breds, and then be patient on buying back bred replacements.
Obviously this does not work when culling average sized opens, but usually we only have 1 to 2% open cows per year. Kit would say we overfeed. :hat:

Caustic Burno":3u89t74m said:
bigbull338":3u89t74m said:
Unless you are seed stock producer those prices for a cow she would never turn a profit in a commercial operation in her life.
a few days ago i talked to the ag teacher that reserves all of my reg heifer calves that are show prospects.he said he had 3 kids to catch scramble calves.but all of my cows are having bulls.only have 2 top cows left to calve.but they will be out of the show window.but thats the way it goes.

Latest posts